Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder error "The contents of the iPhone ... could not be read."

After the 11.4 macOS update and the iOS 14.6 updates my iPhone SE (1st gen) now gives this error message when plugging it into my MacBook Pro.

Prior to those updates it would give multiple pop-ups about unlocking the phone, after which it would read the phone fine.

Photos continues to read the phone fine and import photos normally.

After clicking "OK" instead of actually giving me the Finder window for the phone with the promised "restore" button, it just disconnects and gives me a blank Finder window.

Anyone else experiencing this new bug?

Please don't reply with AI-like scripts about welcoming me here and links to basic articles about how to connect your phone to your mac. I know how to use my phone and computer. Thank you!

iPhone SE

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 3:59 PM

I have the same problem. Iphone 12 with iOS14.6 and Big Sur 11.4. After the "The contents of the iPhone ... could not be read." po-up, in Finder the suggestion is "If you are experiencing problems with this iPhone, you can restore its original settings by clicking Restore iPhone". I do not want to do that because:

1) It's a new iPhone and I just spent countless hours setting it up, installing and configuring apps etc.

2) It's a very generic recommendation. Would it really solve the problem?

It would be great if someone (from Apple perhaps) could shed some light on this.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2021 3:59 PM in response to Unaha-Closp

I have the same problem. Iphone 12 with iOS14.6 and Big Sur 11.4. After the "The contents of the iPhone ... could not be read." po-up, in Finder the suggestion is "If you are experiencing problems with this iPhone, you can restore its original settings by clicking Restore iPhone". I do not want to do that because:

1) It's a new iPhone and I just spent countless hours setting it up, installing and configuring apps etc.

2) It's a very generic recommendation. Would it really solve the problem?

It would be great if someone (from Apple perhaps) could shed some light on this.

Finder error "The contents of the iPhone ... could not be read."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.