Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Future one time alarm

Hi, I recently switched from Android and can’t work out how to set a one time future alarm (i.e not the same day) on iPhone 12. I understand you can use reminders but I would like a loud sustained alarm sound, not just a notification ping. Am I missing something? Cheers for any guidance.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 11:42 PM

Hello New-iPhone-user2,

Welcome to… the dark side? the Jedi? Sorry, I have never been much for StarWars.

I swear Reminders used to allow you to create a custom sound for different reminders but I may be making that up since I sure can't find a way to do it now. This is the kind of thing I recommend submitting feedback on. https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Here is how to create a one-off alarm in the Clock App. Set an alarm on iPhone - Apple Support

"Set a regular alarm

You can set regular alarms for any time, including one for the time you want to wake up. (A regular alarm is unrelated to any sleep schedule.)

1. Tap Alarm, then tap .
  2. Set the time, then choose any of the following options:
    • Repeat: Choose the days of the week.
    • Label: Give the alarm a name, like “Water the plants.”
    • Sound: Choose a vibration, song, or ringtone.
    • Snooze: Give yourself a few more minutes of sleep.
  1. Tap Save.

To change the alarm, tap Edit at the top left, then tap the alarm time."

If you are like me you can change your sound for all reminders using the Settings App > Sound & Haptics > Reminder Alert. I use “Alarm” and this is likely what I was thinking of when I thought they could be customized.

Also, this is the iPhone/iOS user guide which you may find helpful since you recently made the jump from Android. iPhone User Guide - Apple Support and is also available for free in the Books App. Once dowloaded you can view it without service or Wi-Fi which could be helpful in a pinch. https://books.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide/id1515995528

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 11:42 PM in response to New-iPhone-user2

Hello New-iPhone-user2,

Welcome to… the dark side? the Jedi? Sorry, I have never been much for StarWars.

I swear Reminders used to allow you to create a custom sound for different reminders but I may be making that up since I sure can't find a way to do it now. This is the kind of thing I recommend submitting feedback on. https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Here is how to create a one-off alarm in the Clock App. Set an alarm on iPhone - Apple Support

"Set a regular alarm

You can set regular alarms for any time, including one for the time you want to wake up. (A regular alarm is unrelated to any sleep schedule.)

1. Tap Alarm, then tap .
  2. Set the time, then choose any of the following options:
    • Repeat: Choose the days of the week.
    • Label: Give the alarm a name, like “Water the plants.”
    • Sound: Choose a vibration, song, or ringtone.
    • Snooze: Give yourself a few more minutes of sleep.
  1. Tap Save.

To change the alarm, tap Edit at the top left, then tap the alarm time."

If you are like me you can change your sound for all reminders using the Settings App > Sound & Haptics > Reminder Alert. I use “Alarm” and this is likely what I was thinking of when I thought they could be customized.

Also, this is the iPhone/iOS user guide which you may find helpful since you recently made the jump from Android. iPhone User Guide - Apple Support and is also available for free in the Books App. Once dowloaded you can view it without service or Wi-Fi which could be helpful in a pinch. https://books.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide/id1515995528

Jun 26, 2021 10:17 AM in response to New-iPhone-user2

Sorry I missed that your had replied.

I didn’t realize you were looking to do this with Siri rather than manually. You could achieve this by using the Shortcuts App but exactly how is far beyond my expertise. Shortcuts User Guide - Apple Support

Rather than a shortcut you might prefer using Siri to add reminders for the end of your day. Then at the end of your day you could manually create the recurring alarm for the meeting.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful for this issue.

Jun 18, 2021 2:13 AM in response to Scott-he-him

Thanks for the comprehensive response Scott. When I ask Siri to set an alarm for Wed at 2:30pm because I have an important meeting I want to be reminded about with a full on repeating alarm (not just a notification that I might miss) her response is that she can’t set alarms for more than one day ahead. And there in lies my problem. I will take your advice and submit feedback to Apple as I used this feature on my android regularly for important reminders. Should add that there are many cool new iPhone features I like though so happy with my switch. Thanks again, Craig

Future one time alarm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.