Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 5th Apple Music no Dolby Atmos on Yamaha RX-A780

Hi, I have this scenario, a new Apple TV 4K 5° generation, connected to a AVR Yamaha RX-A780, so this AVR is Dolby Atmos capable, and when I watch movies with this new Apple TV from Apple TV+ or Netflix with Dolby Atmos, the AVR notify on the display Dolby Atmos is receiving and decoding, in fact with Tidal Dolby Atmos works as well, but If I choice to listing music with Apple Music in Dolby Atmos, the AVR Yamaha displays just PCM 2 channels, but if I listing Tidal Dolby Atmos or Netflix Dolby Atmos or even Apple TV+ Dolby Atmos, the AVR Yamaha display notify that receive Dolby Atmos. So I have a doubt, How really is the Engineering of Apple Music Dolby Atmos streaming? Does Apple Music streaming Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus in lossy mode, or Dolby Atmos just with 2 Channels to listing with headphones? The first imagen is with the issue, Apple TV 4K 5th gen, with Apple Music Dolby Atmos to AVR Yamaha RX-A780 receiving PCM just 2 ch:

2.- the second picture is the same hardware setup but with Tidal Dolby Atmos, the AVR Yamaha report that is receiving from Apple TV4K a Dolby Atmos.

Can you help me to clarify or fix this, or is it a bug?

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 10:54 AM

Thank you for confirming your test sources.

I don’t subscribe to Tidal, so I wouldn’t know what they do differently.

I don’t have a Sony or Yamaha, so I wouldn’t know how these two could differ for this.

At this time I would advise to contact one of the experts at Apple Support for additional insight.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support (phone numbers)

or start your support request online and they’ll connect you to an expert.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 10:54 AM in response to gadame1

Thank you for confirming your test sources.

I don’t subscribe to Tidal, so I wouldn’t know what they do differently.

I don’t have a Sony or Yamaha, so I wouldn’t know how these two could differ for this.

At this time I would advise to contact one of the experts at Apple Support for additional insight.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support (phone numbers)

or start your support request online and they’ll connect you to an expert.

Jun 20, 2021 9:18 PM in response to gadame1

when I watch movies with this new Apple TV from Apple TV+ or Netflix with Dolby Atmos, the AVR notify on the display Dolby Atmos is receiving and decoding

Alright. Then the setup seems to be working fine for the combination of ATV and AVR.

Also verify that you are updated to tvOS 14.6 or later.

but If I choice to listing music with Apple Music in Dolby Atmos, the AVR Yamaha displays just PCM 2 channels

- Not all of Apple Music is available in Dolby Atmos. You have to find tracks that are available with this option.*

- The Dolby Atmos option for Apple Music has be be set to Automatic (default) or On if you want to listen with this feature.

- Apple Music in Dolby Atmos may roll out on a different schedule for certain countries or regions.

Does Apple Music streaming Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus in lossy mode, or Dolby Atmos just with 2 Channels to listing with headphones?

Neither. Dolby Atmos is output in Dolby MAT format for HDMI-connected AVRs, same as for video content.

About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple Support

From the FAQ:

* Q4:How can I see if a song is available in Dolby Atmos?

A4: Play the song, then check for the Dolby Atmos badge in Now Playing. If every song on an album is available in Dolby Atmos, you’ll see the Dolby Atmos badge on the album’s detail page. Some songs are available in Dolby Atmos only on a particular version of an album.

Q5: Whatʼs the best way to find music in Dolby Atmos?

A5: You can find music available in Dolby Atmos on Apple Musicʼs editorial playlists.

Jun 21, 2021 9:04 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Alright. Then the setup seems to be working fine for the combination of ATV and AVR.

Also verify that you are updated to tvOS 14.6 or later.

R: The Apple TV4k 5gen was updated at the moment I test with a truly Dolby Atmos Track, from the Apple Music oficial Dolby Atmos Playlist.

- Not all of Apple Music is available in Dolby Atmos. You have to find tracks that are available with this option.*

- The Dolby Atmos option for Apple Music has be be set to Automatic (default) or On if you want to listen with this feature.

- Apple Music in Dolby Atmos may roll out on a different schedule for certain countries or regions.

R: I tested with a surely Dolby Atmos Tracks, and all the recommendations and configurations was applied before the test, the question es, why tidal on Apple TV 4K 5 gen send a true Dolby Atmos to the Yamaha AVR, and Apple Music not in the same hardware and HDMI configurations?

Neither. Dolby Atmos is output in Dolby MAT format for HDMI-connected AVRs, same as for video content.

Ok so Apple TV 4K 5 gen output by HDMI a Dolby MAT 2.0 encoded as PCM Multichannel with Atmos metadata?What is the difference with Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus that runs Tidal?. I have an other system setup, Apple TV 4K 5gen connected by HDMI 2.1 to a TV Sony XBR75X900H, and then by eARC to AVR Sony STR-DN1080, and when played Dolby Atmos with Apple Music, the AVR Display Dolby Atmos Dolby Digital +, so why is that difference in both setups the Yamaha VS Sony?. I really apréciate your help, thank you!

Apple TV 4K 5th Apple Music no Dolby Atmos on Yamaha RX-A780

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.