Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleID password not accepted for signing in to iTunes store to update apps on iPhone X

I am unable to update apps on my iPhone X because when I enter my AppleID password to the "Sign In to the iTunes store", I get the message "Apple ID Verification Open Settings to continue signing in with abc@thing.com" (where "abc@thing.com" here is just a fictitious email address I made up for the purposes of posting this question). I know that the AppleID in my iPhone settings and the AppleID password I entered at the prompt above are correct because I can use them on my computer to access my AppleID account. I don't understand why I'm being asked to sign in with an old AppleID abc@thing.com. How do I get whatever software is involved to accept my current AppleID and password? I don't see any way to force it to do so.

iPhone X

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 5:52 PM

You probably purchased those apps with a different Apple ID. The only solution is to delete the apps purchased or downloaded with the old Apple ID and purchase and download them with the new Apple ID. This is why you should never change Apple ID accounts. Instead you should keep the same account and just change the associated email address for the account. See→Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 5:52 PM in response to Macerator

You probably purchased those apps with a different Apple ID. The only solution is to delete the apps purchased or downloaded with the old Apple ID and purchase and download them with the new Apple ID. This is why you should never change Apple ID accounts. Instead you should keep the same account and just change the associated email address for the account. See→Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

AppleID password not accepted for signing in to iTunes store to update apps on iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.