Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 2 not showing up in bluetooth

Hi! I have a 11 inch wnd generation ipad pro and an apple pencil 2. I was on holiday on the last 4 days, and i forgot my apple pencil at home. When I arrived home I immediately snapped my pencil on the ipad, however it not connected. I did restart and also reset my ipad, but the pencil is still not showing up in the bluetooth menu. When the pencil is snapped to the ipad, an indicator pops up, showing that the ipad recognise the pen, but the battery percentage is not there.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 3:54 AM

Start here:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Be aware that if your Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery may now be irretrievably damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

Ideally, a second generation Pencil should be docked with the host iPad whenever the Pencil is not being actively used - as doing so will optimally charge the Pencil and protect its battery from damage.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Some reports suggest that gentle warming of the Pencil (such as a hot water radiator) prior to attempting charging of the Pencil can resurrect a Pencil battery. Whilst nobody should advocate external heating of any Li-ion battery (this being potentially very dangerous), gentle external warming of a tiny battery is unlikely to lead to catastrophic failure. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 3:54 AM in response to gimesidonat

Start here:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Be aware that if your Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery may now be irretrievably damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

Ideally, a second generation Pencil should be docked with the host iPad whenever the Pencil is not being actively used - as doing so will optimally charge the Pencil and protect its battery from damage.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Some reports suggest that gentle warming of the Pencil (such as a hot water radiator) prior to attempting charging of the Pencil can resurrect a Pencil battery. Whilst nobody should advocate external heating of any Li-ion battery (this being potentially very dangerous), gentle external warming of a tiny battery is unlikely to lead to catastrophic failure. 

Apple Pencil 2 not showing up in bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.