Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages app

messages app not working on early 2011 MacBook pro

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 1:19 PM

I never received an error message, it was just unresponsive.

I tried restarting my Mac several times with no luck.

Force quit never appeared alongside the app, but I was able to quit it with the red radio button.

What did work is I started it in safe mode, signed out of messages, then signed back in.

It seems to be working ok now.

For references, my MacBook pro is early 2011 running Mac High Sierra ver. 10.13.6 with a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

Thank you for helping me out.

Joe

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 1:19 PM in response to Grace2211

I never received an error message, it was just unresponsive.

I tried restarting my Mac several times with no luck.

Force quit never appeared alongside the app, but I was able to quit it with the red radio button.

What did work is I started it in safe mode, signed out of messages, then signed back in.

It seems to be working ok now.

For references, my MacBook pro is early 2011 running Mac High Sierra ver. 10.13.6 with a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

Thank you for helping me out.

Joe

Jun 22, 2021 11:50 AM in response to joeval123

Hello joeval123,

We’d love to assist you with getting the Message app working on your MacBook Pro. To clarify, are you receiving an error message? If so, please provide us with those details. Let’s complete the following steps and let us know if you continue to experience the same behavior. 

• Restart your Mac by selecting the Apple menu > Restart.

• If the Message app is frozen and unresponsive, choose Apple menu > Force Quit, select the app in the dialog that appears, then click Force Quit. Please note, you may lose unsaved changes.

• Verify if the issue persists in safe mode as well: Start up your Mac in safe mode

• Check for software updates: Keep your Mac up to date

Thanks for connecting with us!

messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.