Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Mailboxes keep asking for password in Apple Mail

I'm using Apple Mail to access my M365 work email account and also have several associated shared mailboxes.

I've set the shared mailboxes up as follows -

Username: my M365 email address/shared mailbox email address

Password: my M365 email password

Host Name: outlook.office365.com

Automatically manage connection settings is checked.

Each time I lock my Mac and then return Mail prompts me for the password, which I enter as above and the mailbox works, however it's getting annoying to have to do this every time I leave and come back to my Mac.

Using an MBP 2018, Big Sur.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this. It's infuriating!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 5:31 AM

In case anyone else finds their way here with the same issue - the last time the prompts came up for the passwords I ignored it and eventually the accounts synced and I haven't been prompted again since.

So, ignore the prompts for passwords for shared mailboxes and all will come good.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 23, 2021 9:45 PM in response to SteveGistaken

Although macOS Mail can work with various levels of success. The full version of Outlook is recommended for M365 or the web interface. Since you have an M365 account you can actually install via the Mac App Store and simply sign-in. The entire 365 suite is available in the Mac App Store as a free download. Licensing is determined by your login and subscription.

Alternatively, you can download the full 365/2019 version outside the Mac App Store.

Office 365 ver 16.50.0

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525133

Standalone 365 Outlook

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525137

If your employer IT department manages your Mac. Ask them to provide the M365 software, it should be included in their licensing model.

Jul 22, 2021 10:55 PM in response to James Brickley

The reason why I'm using Apple Mail with Office 365, is because the only thing that works well in Outlook is the close button, even that button refuse to work.

Because Apple Mail, Apple Calendar and Apple Contacts is integrated so deep in macOS, it is impossible to beat that.

By example: when I use Outlook on my mac, it will not show any Calendar popup's when Outlook is not open. But the Apple Calendar will show notifications when it is not running.

I'm sysadmin at a small company, and all my colleagues are moving, one by one, from Outlook to Apple Mail, just because it is not working as expected.

And we are also managing the Mac's of our colleagues, and with policies, I can push the email settings to Apple Mail, but no way that I can manage Outlook. So instead of letting my colleagues just turn on the mac and everything will be set like they wanted, I need to make a manual for outlook (and word, excel, and all other microsoft products).

Shared Mailboxes keep asking for password in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.