Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up New Phone

So I haven’t backed my current phone up to iCloud in over a year so there is a lot to catch up on. When I try to back it up it I get to about the 12 hour mark and it will still say 18 hours left. My issue is I can’t just leave my phone backing up as I use for work.

My question is, can I do the quick setup on my new phone (transfer basic settings etc.) and get it up and running, then let my old sit at home for a few days and backup? Then restore my backup to my new phone a couple days later without having any issues?

iPhone 12

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 9:59 AM

If you do the quick setup, you can transfer everything from the old one to the new one directly. Or you could back up your old phone to your computer (provided you have sufficient disk space on your computer), then restore that backup to the new one.

You can, of course, just skip the transfer altogether for now, back up your old phone to iCloud, then when it's finished, erase the new one and restore that backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 9:59 AM in response to nv96

If you do the quick setup, you can transfer everything from the old one to the new one directly. Or you could back up your old phone to your computer (provided you have sufficient disk space on your computer), then restore that backup to the new one.

You can, of course, just skip the transfer altogether for now, back up your old phone to iCloud, then when it's finished, erase the new one and restore that backup.

Jun 23, 2021 10:03 AM in response to nv96

If your current iPhone is using iOS 12.4 or later  you can use device-to-device migration to transfer data directly from your previous device to your new one without requiring an iCloud backup.

link-> Use Quick Start and device to device migration to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you set up the new iPhone first and then try to restore a backup later, you will erase all data you may have accumulated in those few days since you'll need to restore the new iPhone to factory and set it up again. Wether that is acceptable, is up to you.

Setting up New Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.