Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud screeching and popping sound when streaming lossless songs in Big Sur on iMac

Random incredibly loud screeching and/or popping sound when first streaming songs. (Only w/ Apple Music; not CD's, records) Going to either blow my speakers or my ear drums. Pointless to have a music service that will damage equipment/hearing.Apple fix this bug NOW!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 11:06 AM

I just had the issue now and it almost blew out my new expensive headphones, wont be using apple music till its fixed. It happens at the same point in each song when replayed, extremely loud and uncomfortable, sounds like loud tv static, my phone is updated to latest ios.

Similar questions

12 replies

Jun 30, 2021 5:45 PM in response to Tkhubb

I’m experiencing the very same issue on iOS.

It is very startling but also a health hazard that may lead to damage not only to very expensive Audio components but also hearing.

• Happens over Bluetooth with my AirPods Pro
  • Happens over AirPlay with my Mac’s Hi-Fi Setup
  • Happens over IDAM (Inter-device Audio and MIDI Mode)
  • Doesn't seem to happen over the iPhone speakers.

Apple Music in Lossless over IDAM sounds so great btw!

Also the Apple Music app for Android doesn’t seem to have Soundcheck (Loudness Normalization)

FEATURE REQUESTS (in case you’re reading this 👀)

• Support for higher sample rates over AirPlay and IDAM would be great!

• Automatic sample rate switching is ideal (fortunately apple’s SRC and resampling isn’t too bad)
  • Soundcheck should have an option to always play songs at their respective album playback levels even when played from a playlist or station.

Jul 15, 2021 1:15 AM in response to Tkhubb

Yeah it’s still an issue for me. Anytime I stream any form of lossless audio, hi-res lossless or regular lossless I’m greeted with a loud screeching noise in my AirPods Max. It’s really unpleasant and is an issue with Apple Music. I’m using the latest iOS and hope to see some form of an update soon. It’s terrible and simply a health risk continuing to use it without a fix. Also to clarify, this issue CAN BE RESOLVED temporarily, simply turn off lossless audio in the settings and screeching or loud sounds shouldn’t reappear in your music. However, this does defeat the purpose since we cant use a feature Apple just released for its consumers.

Jul 23, 2021 1:33 PM in response to Tkhubb

Had that same thing on my iMac (BigSur 11.5). Tried suggested solutions like reset NVRAM or PRAM and no change. Still loud bang every time I started most of songs. Then I played around in Music preferences and switched Dolby Atmos to off. That solved (or at least bypassed) problem for time being and/or until problem is solved by Apple. Hope this helps someone.

Loud screeching and popping sound when streaming lossless songs in Big Sur on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.