Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop music from syncing to device on itunes

Just recently, iTunes has started to sync my entire music library to any device I backup or sync with iTunes. I've done all I can find to not allow this - unchecked everything related to syncing music in preferences and the music tabs. It never did this before. I do not want any music on my iPhone as I still have an iPod and I prefer to use that for my music, so I've always had it handled manually. Why is it suddenly adding the entire music library if I sync my iPhone now and how can I stop this? I am also on Windows, not Mac, and I do not use the iCloud or Apple Music.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 11:10 AM

I don't know why it suddenly started doing this, but they way to stop it is to change the Sync options for the phone.

• connect the phone to your iTunes Library
  • click on the iPhone icon that will appear on iTunes' top bar menu (as indicated below):

Using the screenshot below as your guide:

• select Settings/Music (1.)
  • on the Music pane, untick (uncheck) the Sync Music box (2.) by left-clicking in the box
  • click on the Apply button in the lower right corner of iTunes (not shown in the screenshot)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 11:10 AM in response to KimoraNya

I don't know why it suddenly started doing this, but they way to stop it is to change the Sync options for the phone.

• connect the phone to your iTunes Library
  • click on the iPhone icon that will appear on iTunes' top bar menu (as indicated below):

Using the screenshot below as your guide:

• select Settings/Music (1.)
  • on the Music pane, untick (uncheck) the Sync Music box (2.) by left-clicking in the box
  • click on the Apply button in the lower right corner of iTunes (not shown in the screenshot)

Jun 28, 2021 11:31 AM in response to KimoraNya

KimoraNya wrote:

A bit annoying to have to check the sync box first to then uncheck everything else to unsync.

I think you may have misunderstood.

Uncheck the Sync Music box and then click Apply. That's all you need to do.

There is no need to uncheck "everything else".

The boxes in my screenshot numbered 3 and 4 will be irrelevant and may not be shown, depending on your previous choices. I have used an old screenshot, used in a previous discussion. Unchecking "everything else" may cause music to be removed form you iPod, depending on what you have unchecked.

Jun 28, 2021 11:59 AM in response to the fiend

I already had the main "sync music" box already unchecked when this started happening. I never checked it to begin with and always added music to my iPod manually, but the sub option of syncing the entire library instead of selected items was checked, albeit grayed out. This is why I was so baffled as I thought the same as you, and thought I exhausted my options to solve this.

I had to actually check the main "sync music" box to move the sub option to "selected" and make sure nothing else was checked, then uncheck "sync music" again and apply. This solved the issue. My iPod remains fine with my music I manually added before, and iTunes does not attempt to dump my entire library onto my iPhone every time I connect it. Very strange and annoying but I am just happy it is solved.

How to stop music from syncing to device on itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.