Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mediasharingd pop-up

RicochetMan: nice plan But for me the Home Sharing Checkbox was never selected in the first place.

There is nothing to deselect.

What now?

The pop-up continues. There is never enough time to Choose to Allow or Deny.

So why the Drill, over some programming remnant?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 12:32 PM

This has been something I've wanted to address ever since I got my new Mac mini, and your post is the first search result that comes up which isn't already archived. After jumping through a lot of archived threads with partial information, I think I found a way to make the popup stop recurring in Big Sur:

1. Go to System Preferences -> Sharing
  2. Select "Media Sharing" in the left pane
  3. Check the "Share media with guests" box in the right pane
  4. The firewall prompt will pop up, I chose deny, but it should theoretically be safe to allow
  5. Uncheck the "Media Sharing" box in the left pane
  6. Uncheck the "Share media with guests" box in the right pane

If you look at your firewall settings, mediasharingd will now be listed, and you can switch between allow and deny in the future if you need to. Because a setting has been chosen, the pop-up shouldn't occur anymore.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 12:32 PM in response to works for me

This has been something I've wanted to address ever since I got my new Mac mini, and your post is the first search result that comes up which isn't already archived. After jumping through a lot of archived threads with partial information, I think I found a way to make the popup stop recurring in Big Sur:

1. Go to System Preferences -> Sharing
  2. Select "Media Sharing" in the left pane
  3. Check the "Share media with guests" box in the right pane
  4. The firewall prompt will pop up, I chose deny, but it should theoretically be safe to allow
  5. Uncheck the "Media Sharing" box in the left pane
  6. Uncheck the "Share media with guests" box in the right pane

If you look at your firewall settings, mediasharingd will now be listed, and you can switch between allow and deny in the future if you need to. Because a setting has been chosen, the pop-up shouldn't occur anymore.

Mediasharingd pop-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.