Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV keeps saying verification failed on new Sony Bravia

Trying to log on my new Sony Bravia TVs into Apple TV app but keeps saying verification failed.

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 6:56 PM

this worked for me!

If you’re having issues connecting your Apple TV to an Apple device using the AirPlay app, follow these steps to resolve the problem:

1. Press the HELP button on the supplied TV remote.
  2. Go to Status & Diagnostics, choose Privacy Settings, and then press the OK button.
  3. Select the Agree to all option at the bottom of the Privacy Policy screen, if you agree, and then scroll down to the very last page. Then choose Yes or I accept at least with respect to Sony Smart TV services if you want.

84 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 6:56 PM in response to Carongall

this worked for me!

If you’re having issues connecting your Apple TV to an Apple device using the AirPlay app, follow these steps to resolve the problem:

1. Press the HELP button on the supplied TV remote.
  2. Go to Status & Diagnostics, choose Privacy Settings, and then press the OK button.
  3. Select the Agree to all option at the bottom of the Privacy Policy screen, if you agree, and then scroll down to the very last page. Then choose Yes or I accept at least with respect to Sony Smart TV services if you want.

Jul 1, 2021 2:10 AM in response to Carongall

If this is for a new Apple ID account, then verify that the account information, including payment method, is complete and validated. If this is for an account that is also in use on other devices (e.g. on iPhone), then the issue is probably elsewhere.

Verify that the date, time, and timezone are correct and valid on the TV. Secure connections use a timestamp that can’t be off by too much.

If the issue persists, then contact Apple Support.

Nov 28, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Carongall

My Sony Bravia was delivered yesterday and I spent a VERY long time dealing with this annoying issue. Finally the combination of the following did the trick and the problem went away:

• First, deleting the application data and cache of the Apple TV app.
  • Second, following the instructions on this image (I didn't do step 4). Apparently the AppleTV app at least needs you to accept the Smart TV privacy policy. So make sure to not leave that unchecked.

Aug 15, 2021 5:27 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I just bought a Bravia and had the verification error. Someone here mentioned playing a video from your phone (logged into the same Apple ID that you use for Apple TV) and screen mirror to the Sony from Control Panel. After I did that, the mobile verification went fine. Screwy error.

The apple support guy told me to call Sony for help on the Apple TV app. Ya, that will work

Oct 6, 2021 9:04 PM in response to Carongall

I had the same issue with my new Sony Bravia but none of the below resolutions worked including updating the privacy policy to include Sony smart tv, nor did mirroring via Airplay fix the verification setting. I even setup Home Kit hoping that might work but it didn’t. What worked for me was resetting Apple TV data! In settingS>Apps>Apple tv>clear data> open app and it prompted me to sign in on TV or activate through web with a code which worked!! Hope that helps others with same issue! Good luck!

Nov 7, 2021 2:48 PM in response to Carongall

I have this problem, too. AppleTV app keeps saying Verification Failed on new Sony Bravia TV. after entering my AppleID and my AppleID password in the AppleTV app. Mine is a XR-65A80CJ purchased at Costco. in September 2021. I have tried the recommended solutions outlined above starting with the one dated on Jul 1, 2021 thru the last one, dated Oct 31, 2021.

None have worked. I continue to get the Authentication Failure msg.

When I have gone into the AppleTV app and Cleared Data I am left with 32.7kb and Cache shows as 0 kb. Clearing Data has not worked for me.

I have again agreed to the Sony Digital TV Service in the Bravia Privacy Policy on the TV. Nothing changed.

I have tried mirroring using AirPlay on my iPhone and using the AirPlay "source" on the TV. I can get to the TV and see a random 4 digit code displayed on the TV but when I enter it on my iPhone, the attempt at a connection to my Sony XR-A80CJ times out after about 30 seconds. Each time I retry I get another unique 4 digit code but it times out after about 30 seconds.

I have tried Disabling and then Enabling the AppleTV app and the Clearing Data. I have also tried Resetting AppleTV which is supposed to "clear" specific information about me and my AppleID. None of these actions have worked to eliminate the Authentication Failure error message.

I have contacted Apple Technical Support a couple of times and Sony Technical Support in my efforts to overcome this problem with no success.

Seems like a full Factory Reset on the TV might be an option, but I'm hesitant to try this without first contacting Sony Technical Support. Seems like an extreme step to me and I don't want to "brick" my TV by doing this without Sony's consent. Don't really want to return the TV to Costco, but like others, this experience has been frustrating.

Will update this post if I can overcome the Authentication Failure roadblock.

Dec 10, 2022 7:30 AM in response to Carongall

From Sony Help / Support pages

It Worked

Apple TV access issue or unable to pair Apple devices to my TV using the AirPlay app or HomeKit

Applicable Products and Categories of This Article

IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.

To use the Apple TV app, AirPlay, and HomeKit, you will need to enable the Sony Smart TV services by accepting the BRAVIA TV Privacy Policy. If you experience Apple TV access or connection issues when pairing to an Apple device using the AirPlay app, follow these steps:

1. On your supplied TV remote, press the HELP button.
  2. Go to Status & Diagnostics, and then select Privacy settings.
  3. On the Privacy Policy screen, read the privacy policy, if you agree, scroll down to the very bottom of the policy, and then agree, at least with respect to Sony Smart TV services, or select the Agree all option if you desire.
  4. On the TV remote control, press the Input button, and then select AirPlay from the input selection to display the AirPlay menu.

*Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, Mac, AirPlay, and HomeKit are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions.

Dec 9, 2022 8:42 PM in response to John Ghadimi

This 100% fixed the problem after I tried every other possible fix.

Restart, clear cache and data, checked time and date. used verification code from macbook, disabled app, reeabled app. oh my gosh so much more I can't remember. Called Apple, on with them for two hours, couldn't figure it out. No QR code or code was coming up on TV and login error occurred. Once I did the steps below, the QR code came up and I was able to login using Face ID on my phone!

Thanks so much!

Sep 24, 2021 6:52 PM in response to Carongall

I am having the same problem and babe tried all the recommendations…I keep getting the verification failed message. I also tried screen mirroring & the onscreen code doesn’t work. I then tried using the tv password that doesn’t work either. I’ve tried resetting the app, doing a force stop, unplugging the tv, disconnecting the wifi, nothing is working!! I’ve used the app on this to before with no problem

Nov 8, 2021 5:02 PM in response to apple2k10

I am having the same problem on my brand new Sony XRA80J 77".

I have tried everything here, clearing data in sony system settings, uninstalling app and reinstalling, tv update, nothing is working, always verifiition failed.

All other apps work fine, just not applyTV.

Very dissapointed because this TV cost an arm and a leg, never had any issues like this when I had the LG OLEDs.

Apple TV keeps saying verification failed on new Sony Bravia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.