Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music on Mac: Sort Songs by Artist and Album/Year

It seems that in the latest version of Apple Music, in the column view (now located under Songs) you can't sort by two columns anymore. I'm specifically looking to sort by Artist and then by Album by Year, rather than Albums being grouped alphabetically (which is not particularly useful when managing a music collection).

Am I missing something? Or is there another way to do this now (or maybe a workaround)?

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 12:33 PM

In case anyone has this same question - I was able to figure it out by sorting by Artwork and then right clicking the artwork on the left side of the "Songs" view, which gives an option for Album by Artist/Year

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 3, 2021 12:20 PM in response to baldy1m

Hello baldy1m,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have questions regarding your sort options in Music on your Mac.

Check out this article, are these the same steps that you're attempting?

Find a song with the column browser in Music on Mac

"Your music can be sorted by up to five categories (Genres, Artists, Albums, Composers, and Groupings), divided into columns. As you select an item in each column, the list narrows down to display only the matching songs.

For example, to find only pop music by a certain artist, you could select Pop in the Genres column, then the artist’s name in the Artists column.

1. In the Music app  on your Mac, click Songs in the sidebar on the left.
  2. Choose View > Column Browser > Show Column Browser, then choose the columns you want to display.
  3. You can’t change the order of the columns.
  4. In the column browser, select options in one or more columns.
  5. As you select options, songs that match your criteria are displayed below."

The following article will help with sorting and playback options.

Play songs in a specific order in Music on Mac

Best regards.

Apple Music on Mac: Sort Songs by Artist and Album/Year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.