Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Drain after 1 hour on Zoom

I’ve worked with Apple support on the phone twice, reset, unpaired and re-paired by AirPods 1 (purchased in late 2018) and use them with my iPhone 11 Pro, MacBook Pro M1, or iPad Pro 7 (11"). They simply do not keep the charge as long as they are supposed to. In particular they drain far faster when I am on a Zoom call than any other use (regular phone call, listening to music or Podcasts although even then it drains faster than it should ). At one hour on a Zoom call I get the beep and they lose power. Anyone else experience this? Anything I can do to fix this battery drain?

Should this happen with AirPods that are 2 1/2 years old with only moderate use?

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 11:27 AM

4 replies

Jul 3, 2021 12:12 PM in response to CNanPH

Hi CNanPH,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help with the issue you are having with your AirPods not lasting more than an hour when used. You mentioned this happens when using Zoom. Do you know what the battery percentage is when you begin using Zoom? Can you test them by staring a Zoom session when they are at 100% battery, and the do the same while using them on a regular phone call or other app? - AirPods (1st generation) - Technical Specifications.

Do you have a second device you can test them with?

Looking forward to details!

Jul 3, 2021 1:48 PM in response to ManJor

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply. I always start out with 100% battery charge on the AirPods (although the case may be less). With the battery percentage at 100% whenI start a Zoom call it falls to 10% and then 5% at about the 1 hour mark and I get the little tone letting me know it is fading out. This happens on both my MacBook Pro M1 and my iPad Pro 7 (11 inch). I can use the AirPods with music, a podcast playing, or a phone call on my iPhone 11 and it goes down to only about 80 or 90% after about 1 hour. I have not tried watching a video, tv show or movie on my iPad with them for a long time.

Jul 9, 2021 12:04 PM in response to KMB_12

Thank you for the suggestion. I tested my AirPods further and when just listening to music they are at about 95 to 96% at about an hour, so it definitely seems to be with Zoom (and perhaps other video calls/presentations/webinars) but I haven't tested it with FaceTime. The automated chat bot on Zoom is of no use. When I have time and patience I may try to call them. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

AirPods Drain after 1 hour on Zoom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.