Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Airpods Pro 2nd gen case battery drain

Hello everyone, I have recently got AirPods pro 2nd generation and I believe I am experiencing case battery drain issues to some extent. I used the AirPods without ANC and listened to music for 2 hours and realized that the case dropped from 85% to 72% to charge the AirPods from 95% to 100%. With this pace, I can never reach the advertised 30 hours of play time even without ANC. Interestingly, it seems like the case is not losing much battery when it is in idle mode, so not being used. Is this normal behavior or do you think there is smt wrong with my AirPods?

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 3:50 AM

yesterday i tried this method. My case was 21% and the pods were at 100% when i started listening to music. Then i drained the pods till 72% and put them back into the case. I check an hour later and the pods were at 96% and the case was at 8%. Then i did not touch them again. After 18 hours i checked the airpods. The right airpod had 52% battery while the left one was at 0% and the case was completely dead. I don’t understand this at all. How can they lose so much battery and completely drain even when they are idle. The apple store is really far from my town and last time i went they claimed that everything was fine wit my airpods but this is really frustrating. I hope it resets itself somehow after this complete battery drain

200 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 3:50 AM in response to kurlik279

yesterday i tried this method. My case was 21% and the pods were at 100% when i started listening to music. Then i drained the pods till 72% and put them back into the case. I check an hour later and the pods were at 96% and the case was at 8%. Then i did not touch them again. After 18 hours i checked the airpods. The right airpod had 52% battery while the left one was at 0% and the case was completely dead. I don’t understand this at all. How can they lose so much battery and completely drain even when they are idle. The apple store is really far from my town and last time i went they claimed that everything was fine wit my airpods but this is really frustrating. I hope it resets itself somehow after this complete battery drain

Jan 19, 2023 6:10 AM in response to ipekss

I found a solution that fixed this issue for me. I was having a similar issue with the case for my AirPods Pro 2, but it didn’t start until I had the AirPods for about 2 months. I started getting the drain like everyone on this thread is describing. I tried various fixes but the only thing that worked for me was that I ran the case and AirPods totally dead and I left them that way for about 24 hours before charging. I then gave them a full charge and I no longer have the drain issue. This gave the AirPods and case the true reset they needed since there isn’t any other way to do it otherwise. Give this a try and see if it works for you.

Jan 12, 2023 9:55 AM in response to kbskis

This seems to be a problem with Find My draining the batteries on the Airpod Pro Gen 2 case. I disabled Find My under the AirPod Pro 2 Bluetooth settings. Now, the batteries on the case don't seem to be draining fast.

Although this is a work around, I don't believe that this is an acceptable workaround since Find My for the AirPod Pro 2nd Gen is one of it's key impacting features.

Feb 17, 2024 3:09 PM in response to ipekss

I have the same problem with an Airpod 2nd Generation (not Pro). I did similar tests as you did. I didn't have this problem with my previous Airpod 1st gen. The specification page doesn't indicate for how long the battery will keep the battery level while not using it. It seems to be a common problem, for example, AirPods Battery Drain? How to Fix. Today I visited the Apple store. They did several tests and it seems my Airpods don't have any issues. They updated the firmware and I turned off the find device option. I will test it again, to see how it works. The technical at the Apple store and even over the phone could not explain this behavior. I don't use it often, maybe once per week, so I found this issue. After charging the case and the AirPods both at 100%, when I try to use it again after several days, the case is at 5%, and sometimes the airpods are not even at 100%. They only refers to the following information Apple provides:

AirPods

• Up to 5 hours of listening time with a single charge

AirPods with Lightning Charging Case

• More than 24 hours of listening time

so you can deduce the case can charge the Airpods 24/5=4.8 times, but it doesn't indicate it needs to happens with no waiting time between one charge and another, so after 3-5 days the battery is drained, without even using the airpords.

From the user's perspective, this is not what we expect, it is like having a car in your garage for a week and then the battery is drained without using the car. This is not acceptable.

Dec 14, 2022 5:34 AM in response to ipekss

ipekss Said:

Thank you so much for your quick reply with the clear tip. It seems that I have a lot of files on iCloud, in Pages, Photos, Files . . . It may need two hard drives I guess. I will check all files and delete those duplicated or no longer useful to reduce space first. Then I’ll try your steps. Best.

———-

You are welcome.

To Re-Enable it:

As you might suspect, no one here would know the reason for this occurrence, of course. So, contact Apple Support. They’ll know why this occurred and will run you right through the fix.

Contact Apple Support:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Apr 22, 2023 3:21 PM in response to ipekss

I have also very big problem with my AirPods Pro 2 because I had it approximately 2 weeks and battery is terrible….Apple promise up to 30 hours of listening music but my AirPods play music maximum for 17 hours … so I think it’s terrible..and battery percentage I can’t comment because it’s also one big fail. When I open case on my AirPods they show percentage but on my iPhone I also have a widget with that AirPods and they also shows AirPods percentage but for every time it’s different!!! For example when I open my case on AirPods I have 86% of battery but in settings it’s just different. And for 270€ AirPods it’s just big fail and I don’t know what with them now. I want new one because this experience it’s until now terrible…

Feb 15, 2023 10:35 PM in response to brijesh0789

So I finally did the following which seems to have stopped the battery drain and resolved the play sound case issue.

1) Forget AirPod pro 2 from iPhone Bluetooth

2) Reset AirPod Pro 2 by pressing button on case until the case light turns orange then white

3) reset network settings on iPhone

4) repair the AirPod Pro 2 to the iPhone.

Now the battery drain has stopped, find my works, and play sound on case works.

It’s definitely a software bug. But hopefully this will work for you.

Mar 6, 2023 1:14 PM in response to ipekss

I also noticed that, seems there is a bug draining the case. I think I found a temporary fix while Apple fixes the problem for good. The problem is the find me app, on your airpods in the find me app, turn off "Notify Me When Left Behind" that seemed to fix the battery drain meanwhile apple fixes the issue. I hate to have a fix by eliminating or turning off a function. But for now I rather not lose 15% battery on tue case everyday without even using the airpods

Dec 12, 2022 2:04 PM in response to ipekss

ipekss Said:

"Airpods Pro 2nd gen case battery drain: Hello everyone, I have recently got AirPods pro 2nd generation and I believe I am experiencing case battery drain issues to some extent.[...]Interestingly, it seems like the case is not losing much battery when it is in idle mode, so not being used. Is this normal behavior or do you think there is smt wrong with my AirPods?"

-------

No. This is not normal behavior.

Troubleshooting AirPods Battery Draining:

A. A Few Links to Visit:

B. Try the Following Tasks:

• Hold Down the Button on the case for about 15 seconds.

• Use an Apple Brand Cable - not a third party one - cool though it may look, a fabric, third-part cable would likely tear - (Apple cable's are plastic and are intended for Apple)

• Remove the AirPod from the Case, then place it back in the charger. Perhaps it need to resync with he charger.

Jan 29, 2023 8:52 AM in response to ipekss

ipekss Said:

"[...]I think everyone having battery issues should contact the apple service through the app so apple can finally take our problems seriously!"

-------

To the OP and all participants...

Leave Apple Feedback:

Do your Part: This seems to be a commonly reported bug in these forums. Question is: "How many people have let Apple know about this bug?"  Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what bugs are occurring, and what needs to be fixed.

Giving Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment on: When you came across this bug, and how you have troubleshot it thus far
  4. Proceed From there as necessary

Mar 7, 2023 12:08 PM in response to bournandel

Yeah lol. Well the strange thing is that after I turned it on again, I had the airpods themselves and the case charged to 100% and it didnt drain at all for like 5 hours, but then I used the airpods and dropped the charge to like 49% then I put them in the case and the case dropped to 91% which to that point everything seemed about right. Then I left them sit there and 5 hours later the battery in the case was at 85%, so it dropped 6% in 5 hours without touching them and the actual airpods already been charged to 100%. Now after posting "never mind dont turn on notify me when left behind" I turned it off again and the drain stopped. At least we are pinpointing the problem, just hope Apple reads this lol

Airpods Pro 2nd gen case battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.