Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air has been working very slow and I can hear a really loud fan-like sounds

Hi All,

My MacBook Air has been working very slow of late and as of today, I can hear. areally loud fan-like sounds coming out of it while it's on. Any ideas on how I can fix this issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 7:40 PM

Madyan19 Said:

"Slow and loud: Hi All, My MacBook Air has been working very slow of late and as of today, I can hear. areally loud fan-like sounds coming out of it while it's on. Any ideas on how I can fix this issue?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Slow Mac:

Too much is likely running in the background. System resources are probably being eaten up quite a bit. So, here is what to try....

Boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot] and then perform the following:

A. Remove: Login Items:

See if Safari and/or Chrome are Login Items. If so, remove them as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if it/they no longer load(s) at login.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items preferences on Mac - Apple Support.

B. Uninstall: Security Software:

Any Security Software installed on your computer? If so, uninstall it. Use the Uninstaller for to do so, getting the Uninstaller directly from my Developer’s site, as getting it else where may result in Malware or Spyware being installed. If you are uncertain which to download, then as the Developer. What is it doing is running you through VPN (Virtual Private Network), and your location is seen elsewhere — perhaps a location that this site is inaccessible to.

C. Scan: your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

D. Clean: Space:

Delete: Unneeded, Large Files:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them. Virtual Machines can be in the double and triple digits of GBs of data.

E. Clear: Temporary Internet Files:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2021 7:40 PM in response to Madyan19

Madyan19 Said:

"Slow and loud: Hi All, My MacBook Air has been working very slow of late and as of today, I can hear. areally loud fan-like sounds coming out of it while it's on. Any ideas on how I can fix this issue?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Slow Mac:

Too much is likely running in the background. System resources are probably being eaten up quite a bit. So, here is what to try....

Boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot] and then perform the following:

A. Remove: Login Items:

See if Safari and/or Chrome are Login Items. If so, remove them as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if it/they no longer load(s) at login.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items preferences on Mac - Apple Support.

B. Uninstall: Security Software:

Any Security Software installed on your computer? If so, uninstall it. Use the Uninstaller for to do so, getting the Uninstaller directly from my Developer’s site, as getting it else where may result in Malware or Spyware being installed. If you are uncertain which to download, then as the Developer. What is it doing is running you through VPN (Virtual Private Network), and your location is seen elsewhere — perhaps a location that this site is inaccessible to.

C. Scan: your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

D. Clean: Space:

Delete: Unneeded, Large Files:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them. Virtual Machines can be in the double and triple digits of GBs of data.

E. Clear: Temporary Internet Files:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

My MacBook Air has been working very slow and I can hear a really loud fan-like sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.