Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to share a purchased app to family members through Family Sharing

Hello. I (the 'organizer') have recently set up our Family Sharing group and one of us has a purchased app (Logic Pro X) that we are looking to purchase-share with me to be able to download it without needing to purchase it again. However, on my Mac App Store (following this Apple guide), when I click my account on the bottom left and try to switch the "Purchased by" account to the person with Logic Pro X I can only change to my own account and I cannot see others from the Family Sharing group - that is my issue.

I believe the problem has something to do with the 'Purchase Sharing' setting on the Family Sharing. I have not added a payment method because we aren't looking to have a singular payment method for everyone in the family. I have seen a few webpages from the Apple Communities discussions and Apple guides and the only thing I found was that I would have to do something related to changing the Apple ID that is linked to me on the Family Sharing settings (?).

In any case, ideally I would like to be able to simply download Logic Pro X onto my laptop through a shared purchase from another family member, something I currently cannot because I cannot see their already-purchased apps on my App Store (as stated above). Thank you.

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 6:45 AM

Have you turned on Purchase Sharing? To do that, you must have a valid payment method on file, and you agree to pay for family member's purchases. From the article below.

If you turn on purchase sharing, you'll be asked to confirm that you agree to pay for purchases initiated by the family members you invite and that you have a valid payment method on file. Valid payment methods for setting up Family Sharing include credit cards and debit cards.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 6:45 AM in response to Franceso12

Have you turned on Purchase Sharing? To do that, you must have a valid payment method on file, and you agree to pay for family member's purchases. From the article below.

If you turn on purchase sharing, you'll be asked to confirm that you agree to pay for purchases initiated by the family members you invite and that you have a valid payment method on file. Valid payment methods for setting up Family Sharing include credit cards and debit cards.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Unable to share a purchased app to family members through Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.