Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A problem was detected with the TrueDepth camera. Face ID has been disabled.

A problem was detected with the TrueDepth

camera. Face ID has been disabled

Suddenly found that message on my iPhone XS and can’t setup Face ID Anymore .

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 11:01 AM

Exactly same thing happening here after a small water splash, despite the update to iOS 15.

I can't even restart the Face ID, since the phone just won't allow me to do anything about it because of this TrueDepth problem.

34 replies

Nov 2, 2021 8:26 PM in response to AxlAung

No way Apple will recommend what solved my issue, but here is my story:

I’ve had this problem for about a week and a half. It is most likely an internal issue with my true depth camera, considering that whenever the error persists my “portrait mode” fails to work on my front camera (which has to use true depth).

I’ve done about every different method of trouble shooting the internet has to offer. I’ve miraculously fixed my phone 3 times, only for it to fail in less than 24 hours each time. After going through all the solutions, i was left with repair as the last option which is about $300-$500 (so I’ve read). Since the only thing standing between my phone and the grave was entering a passcode every time I lifted my phone or wanted to get into some apps, I decided I had nothing to lose.

So, with my phone in one hand, I banged the top corner against the bottom of my other hands palm a few times. Maybe out of frustration, maybe out of a stroke of genius, but I went to my camera and tried portrait mode and to my surprised it worked. I was then able to set my Face ID.

so maybe a little bit of tough love is all you need. Apple pls don’t cancel me 🙏🏻

Jan 26, 2022 3:27 AM in response to AxlAung

My girlfriend has the same problem with her iPhone XS, caused by water damage. What's strange is that the Face ID infrared camera is still active, but Face ID refuses to be set up with the error "A problem was detected with the TrueDepth camera. Face ID has been disabled."

Everything else on the phone was seamlessly, so I suspect a software problem that Apple is simply denying.

Oct 21, 2021 12:37 PM in response to AxlAung

Put your iPhone into Airplane Mode, wait for 30 seconds, and then turn it off. Wait again for another 30 seconds, and then turn on the device. Check if the error persists. Hopefully, resetting your connection to Apple’s servers solves the problem.

If you still can’t use Face ID, go to Settings, tap General and select Software Update. Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version, and restart it. Check if Face ID works as expected.

Set up Face ID in Airplane Mode

Other users said they solved the problem after resetting Face ID while in Airplane Mode.

Reset iPhone Settings

Erase all of your iPhone’s settings, and check if this method solves the problem.

1. Go to Settings, and select General.
  2. Select Reset iPhone, and tap Reset All Settings.
  3. Confirm your choice, enter your passcode, and tap Reset All
  4. Wait until your iPhone finishes clearing all of your settings.
  5. Your iOS device should restart automatically.
  6. Check if you’re still getting the same TrueDepth error message.

Restore Your iPhone via iTunes

Try restoring your iPhone using iTunes. If this is a software-related issue, restoring your device should strike the software problem off the list. Some users suggested not using the backup option when restoring your device. Sometimes, your backup can get corrupted. If you use corrupted backup data to restore your device, the problem won’t go away.

By: https://appletoolbox.com/fix-problem-detected-with-truedepth-camera-iphone/

Sep 14, 2021 1:25 AM in response to AxlAung

Had the same issue since the beginning of August 2021 on my XS. Of course 2,5 years old and out of warranty.

Still wondering how it happened from one day to the other.

Surely looks like there’s more going on than just a hardware problem or water (since it’s waterproof).

It would be nice if they offered a decent compensation if you turn it in an the only issue is the true depth camera.

Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

Jan 18, 2022 4:10 AM in response to AxlAung

It happened to my IPhone 12 immediately after the new IOS update on Sunday. I did everything possible including Customer Support and Apple service etc. I was told at service centre to pay the amount equivalent to new phone and this will get replaced. Now I am feeling cheated. This is absolutely nonsense. I have been an Apple user all my life but I think after the Steve’s era it is all profit and margin and what not under the leadership of Tim. Bye Apple forever!

Nov 9, 2021 2:10 PM in response to AxlAung

The problem is apple Is a corrupt business. A majority of the time this will pop up with the slightest incident or if you ever break anything and try to repair it. They will deactivate this. Causing you to go in and spend more senseless money on a product that has not changed in years. Apple is the true meaning of communism. They bleed all their customers out of their money. The right to repair exists and Apple does everything they can to force people to repeatedly waste money. It's a dam shame!

Sep 6, 2021 10:58 AM in response to ivanhoe80

No. I took it to the “Genius Bar” and they told me I needed to buy a new phone 🙄. Hard pass. So I’m just using the regular passcode now, which is annoying but I’m unwilling to pay for a new iPhone. Plus in reading a variety of tech articles, they seem to feel it’s a bug caused by the latest update since so many people are having the same issue suddenly. They said Apple historically doesn’t admit these mistakes and then just quietly fixes them in the next update. So I’m waiting to see what happens when they release the next update. If not, I’ll make do without.

Jul 17, 2021 9:11 AM in response to AxlAung

Welcome AxlAung,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone XS. We'll do our best to assist.

Due to the error we see here, these are the steps we'd recommend to take:

1. Check for updates, back up and get up to date, if needed: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  2. If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro
  3. Ensure the ring/silent switch is set to ring, not silent.
  4. Any restrictions set up on this device? Check in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions. If so, disable these restrictions, restart the iPhone and test out the issue.
  5. Restart the iPhone
  6. Attempt to complete Face ID enrollment continuously for at least a full minute in a well lit environment.

Should you continue to receive this exact error, 'Face ID has been disabled' or 'Face ID is not available' then bring in the iPhone for an inspection: iPhone Repair & Service

To prepare for your visit: Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service

Find a service center by selecting your region and searching nearby here: Find Locations

Note: Due to the current conditions around the world, some stores may have limited hours or appointment times. They also may require specific things to visit them (Such as, scheduling an appointment, wearing a mask, calling to check-in, etc.).

Hoping this helps out, take care!

A problem was detected with the TrueDepth camera. Face ID has been disabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.