Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get to the full discussion of my topic

For whatever reason, probably some settings error on my part, if I get an email notice from Support saying that (blank) has replied to my post, and I can now view the whole discussion...when I click on the hyperlink "view the whole discussion", I don't get the whole discussion. Instead, the familiar discussion page is replaced by a tombstone bearing some of the details of my problem and some of the replies, but not the whole discussion, and 50% of the time it isn't even the correct discussion. What is up? I've included a screenshot.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 9:56 AM

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

The free Malwarebytes may take care of it...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

BTW might try this, it's Chrome without google & without Ads...

https://brave.com/

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 9:56 AM in response to Birck Cox

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

The free Malwarebytes may take care of it...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

BTW might try this, it's Chrome without google & without Ads...

https://brave.com/

Jul 18, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Birck Cox

Birck Cox wrote:

For whatever reason, probably some settings error on my part, if I get an email notice from Support saying that (blank) has replied to my post, and I can now view the whole discussion...when I click on the hyperlink "view the whole discussion", I don't get the whole discussion.

If you mean the link that says "view entire message", that just shows you that specific email. You need to click on "go to the discussion".

Jul 18, 2021 1:49 PM in response to Birck Cox

BDAqua, there is no "View" menu available in my Sys Prefs, and nothing has come up labeled "Profile", so, apparently, I don't have any. I did, however, have a VPN running, so I shut it off. No changes either way yet.

By the way, after about three weeks with a rearranged pair of external drives, and the OWC enclosure gone, my "disk unmounting" problem has not returned. You picked it right. Thank you.

Jul 19, 2021 5:18 AM in response to BDAqua

Ah, I misunderstood. The Sys Prefs menu bar does, yes, appear in the upper left, with View as one of the items. Obviously, I've never used it, but it is there. The list is an alphabetized version of the preferences grid, but there is no "profile" or "profiles" on it. What am I missing here? At any rate, either I didn't have any Profiles, or MalwareBytes took it or them out, and I did have VPN running, but not any more. And the problem hasn't recurred. Thanks again. Someday I'll learn this stuff.

Jul 19, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Birck Cox

OK, you don't have any Profiles it seems, which is good.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Can't get to the full discussion of my topic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.