Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I tell my Mac where my Photos library is?

I created a new user on my M1 iMac because of some problems I have. I've been moving everything over including my /Users/HowardB/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary file.

But when I go into contacts or Systems Preferences/Users & Groups and want to change a photo, it is not finding my photos library the way my old system did.

There must be a way that my Big Sur knows where the photos library is. How do I set it?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 7:56 AM

If you copied the library from a different user account to a new user account, there may be some permission problems. Some internal database files inside the library may still have the old file ownership.

If you continue to see some greyed out items in the library, you may want to repair the library to fix the file ownership and permissions, see this help page: Repair your library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

(unless Photos already repaired the library on its own, after you copied it)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 7:56 AM in response to howardfromlafayette

If you copied the library from a different user account to a new user account, there may be some permission problems. Some internal database files inside the library may still have the old file ownership.

If you continue to see some greyed out items in the library, you may want to repair the library to fix the file ownership and permissions, see this help page: Repair your library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

(unless Photos already repaired the library on its own, after you copied it)

Jul 19, 2021 5:13 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I clicked on that yesterday and now it is grayed out. I also saw yesterday that some albums were all greyed out with the cloud symbol on those gray photos, and I couldn't drag photos to the albums. That's when I started this thread.

But just now I could click on those clouds and the albums populated. And Contacts could find photos.

It appears that the solution is to wait for a day!

How do I tell my Mac where my Photos library is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.