Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding a clip that appears in the monitor window of iMovie but not in the timeline to be able to remove it.

I have part of a clip that I used appearing in the monitor but the clip is not visible on the timeline to enable me to delete it from the timeline. The particular clip is shown on the media "Shelf" with its orange line showing the portion of the clip that has been used. When allowing the movie to play along the timeline the unwanted clip suddenly appears in the monitor window instead of the particular clip that is on the timeline. I simply cannot find where that unwanted clip is. How do I locate it to remove it?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 7:52 AM

Sometimes leftover fragments from editing can be very tiny and hard to find. Try using the slider above and to the right of the timeline to expand out your timeline fully, and then scroll in the the timeline at the place where the clip fragment appears in the preview screen.

If you still cannot locate the clip, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If still no luck, you can also try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of all the media in your project, and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if that cures it.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 7:52 AM in response to Del at 6

Sometimes leftover fragments from editing can be very tiny and hard to find. Try using the slider above and to the right of the timeline to expand out your timeline fully, and then scroll in the the timeline at the place where the clip fragment appears in the preview screen.

If you still cannot locate the clip, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If still no luck, you can also try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of all the media in your project, and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if that cures it.

-- Rich

Jul 19, 2021 8:15 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you so much Rich for your prompt response.

After repeatedly shutting down the iMac and doing a PRAM re-start since yesterday I was getting quite frustrated.

I just kept on trying to find the clip and did indeed enlarge the clips on the timeline with the slider on the top right of it. I also then put a new clip above the spot (Picture in picture concept) where the offending residue of the old clip presented on the timeline. All of this may have done the trick as all of a sudden I noticed that the offending clip had been deleted out of the library without ever seeing it on the timeline itself.

Once again thanks

Delwin

Finding a clip that appears in the monitor window of iMovie but not in the timeline to be able to remove it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.