Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Intel Macbook Pro late 2015 is booting very slowly

My late 2015 Intel Macbook Pro running High Sierra is booting very, very slowly, and is sluggish for about an hour while it tries to run startup software. Once it's struggled through its paces it functions fairly well (though applications still take a while to get running). I have Malwarebytes and CleanMyMac X, the latter of which continually asks if I should abort the slowly-loading apps.

One of the items that it wrestles with in the startup is Adobe Creative Cloud, which usually raises an error that part of it is missing (though I suspect it's simply timing out while it slowly tries to do its tasks). It asks to reinstall the software but the message persists next boot whether I do or not.

I have tried to hold down "D" while booting but I don't get diagnostics; I get a list of languages. If I press Option - D then it shows a globe and starts to boot from the Internet, but it eventually just goes to the language screen.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 4:06 AM

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, and recent kernel panic information. The settings stored in NVRAM depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262 Choose the appropriate method.

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Download EtreCheck: https://etrecheck.com/  and post the report here.

Click, “Free Download” button and then  “Click to download” button,

open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar and select “Copy report”.

Click the “Page” button in the toolbar at the bottom of this page and paste it when you reply.

Note: This is a diagnostic test. 

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 4:06 AM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, and recent kernel panic information. The settings stored in NVRAM depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262 Choose the appropriate method.

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Download EtreCheck: https://etrecheck.com/  and post the report here.

Click, “Free Download” button and then  “Click to download” button,

open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar and select “Copy report”.

Click the “Page” button in the toolbar at the bottom of this page and paste it when you reply.

Note: This is a diagnostic test. 

Aug 19, 2021 9:16 AM in response to HWTech

I waited over a week to test what I was seeing was real -- upgrading to Catalina FIXED EVERYTHING. THANKS!

My boot takes about two minutes to login screen, and whatever chicken bone it was choking on that dragged out the process of settling in and becoming responsive has gone away.

I also have a separate ticket regarding a video playback glitch that arises every day or so requiring a reboot, for which I have tolerated for YEARS. IT has gone away, too! A previous upgrade to High Sierra did NOT do the trick, but the playback issue hasn't happened so far...

Jul 23, 2021 7:21 PM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

You did forget to post the first part of the report. When posting reports & logs in the future paste them into the pop-up text box by using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper at the bottom of the posting window of this forum.

It appears there is still a piece of CMM left behind as well as the drivers for the Hola VPN software that was installed. While you removed the app for the Hola VPN it did not remove the installed drivers. When removing apps from a Mac you need to follow the developer's instructions to uninstall the apps. Usually the only apps you can manually remove (aka delete) from the Applications folder are the ones where you drag & drop the app into the Applications folder or possibly apps installed from the App Store. All other apps usually require an uninstaller app to be run in order to remove all the files the original installer placed on the Mac in various folders. You should uninstall the Hola VPN software in order to remove the drivers that have been left behind.

These are the two most likely culprits as the rest of the installed software seems Ok, but hopefully another more knowledgeable contributor can chime in since I am not a macOS software expert. I have seen a couple contributors mention that some of the cloud syncing services do cause extreme system slowness due to how they use the file system. So the cloud syncing service/software should be the next item to uninstall by following the developer's instructions.

It seems your system is using up all its memory and has begun using the Swap at over 10GB which is extreme and many of the app crashes are due to memory. Chances are this is related to the high System Load and possibly to the extremely slow write speed of the SSD (I would expect the SSD write speed to be at least 600MB/s).

Also don't forget to run First Aid on the SSD. In fact run First Aid on the hidden Container. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok" click on "Show Details" and manually scroll back through the report to see if there are any unfixed errors. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then you will need to erase the whole physical SSD and restore from a backup or clone.

It also does not hurt to run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Jul 26, 2021 9:12 AM in response to HWTech

Hi, sorry, I had lost track of why I had deleted the snapshots -- to complete First Aid (my boot issues persist).

First aid on the Container Disk and the volume were successful.

Report:

Verifying storage system

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -x -l /dev/disk0s2

Checking volume.

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the object map.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

Checking the object map.

Checking the fsroot tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the extent ref tree.

Checking the snapshots.

warning: apfs_num_files (946363) is not valid (946357)

warning: apfs_num_other_fsobjects (68) is not valid (69)

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshots.

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshots.

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshots.

Verifying allocated space.

The volume /dev/disk0s2 appears to be OK.

Storage system check exit code is 0.

Operation successful.

I downloaded and ran RriveDX -- report in Additional Text. 0 Errors, 0 Self-tests, 12 health indicators

Jul 26, 2021 7:27 PM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

You can try running First Aid from Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) or from a bootable macOS 10.13+ USB installer to see if the errors can be repaired, however, you will want to check the report manually. Plus you will want to run First Aid again while booted normally and again manually check the report. I have seen First Aid "fix" things while booted into Internet Recovery Mode, but then show as bad once First Aid runs while booted normally. I have absolutely no faith in Disk Utility.

My guess is you will need to erase the whole physical SSD and restore from a backup or clone to resolve those APFS errors.

Your SSD in this laptop is almost at its end of life according to the DriveDx report. The "Wear Leveling Count" is a life-span indicator which is at 9% remaining. Even once the SSD reaches the manufacturer's estimated limit on this health attribute the SSD may continue working since this health attribute is not an "pre-fail" indicator. How long the SSD can or will work is unknown once the remaining 9% wear-level is exceeded since this SSD does not provide enough information.

Plus the "Host Writes MiB" is at 356TB which seems like a lot to me, however, the attribute has only decreased by one normalized value (assuming this attribute is being properly calculated & adjusted by the SSD).

You definitely want to make sure to have frequent and regular backups of the data on this SSD. Once an SSD runs out of usable blocks an SSD is supposed to go into a read-only mode so the data can still be accessed, however, in everything I've read and personally experienced this rarely happens.

If the APFS Container cannot be repaired and erasing the whole physical SSD does not restore the performance of the laptop, then you could try utilizing the SSD's built-in hardware secure erase feature to reset the SSD to factory defaults. This would be a last ditch effort to attempt to restore performance. I doubt this will do much good for this SSD since the Wear Level is nearing its life-time expected limit, but maybe the SSD has just gotten into some kind of weird state. Utilizing the SSD's built-in hardware secure feature requires a Linux boot disk and utility and potentially could brick the SSD if the SSD has a hardware issue or is actually at end of life.

I highly recommend you create a bootable macOS 10.13+ USB installer (and test that it boots) or at least verify you can boot into the online Big Sur installer using Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R). If you need to replace the original Apple SSD with a third party NVMe SSD, then you will need to boot into a macOS 10.13+ installer in order to see the third party NVMe SSD. A lot of times Macs will only boot into the oldest macOS online installer which shipped with the computer no matter which key combination you use for Recovery Mode/Internet Recovery Mode so it is best to be prepared when this SSD wears out & fails.

Jul 20, 2021 4:35 PM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

RaymondKowalchuk wrote:

My late 2015 Intel Macbook Pro running High Sierra is booting very, very slowly, and is sluggish for about an hour while it tries to run startup software. Once it's struggled through its paces it functions fairly well (though applications still take a while to get running). I have Malwarebytes and CleanMyMac X, the latter of which continually asks if I should abort the slowly-loading apps.

First uninstall CleanMyMac by following the developer's instructions. Cleaning apps are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance. The Apple forums are full of posts where users' Mac issues were solved by uninstalling CMM.

I have tried to hold down "D" while booting but I don't get diagnostics; I get a list of languages. If I press Option - D then it shows a globe and starts to boot from the Internet, but it eventually just goes to the language screen.

Which language screen are you talking about? Is this a screen where you can select your language to use or has the Mac crashed/frozen on this language screen? If the latter, then it means you most likely have a hardware issue of some sort. Make sure all external devices are disconnected in case one of them is causing a problem.

Jul 23, 2021 3:36 PM in response to dominic23

Network:

Interface en0: Wi-Fi

802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Interface Bluetooth-Modem: Bluetooth DUN

Interface en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet

Interface en5: iPhone

Interface en3: Bluetooth PAN

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

iCloud Quota: 14.22 GB available

Printer sharing: Enabled

Screen sharing: Enabled

System Software:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14042)

Time since boot: About 2 days

Notifications:

Firefox.app

100 notifications

Google Chrome.app

99 notifications

one notification (one scheduled)

Safari.app

one notification

Creative Cloud.app

2 notifications

Security:

Gatekeeper: App Store and identified developers

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Antivirus software: Apple and Malwarebytes

Printer sharing: Enabled

Screen sharing: Enabled

Unsigned Files:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist

Executable: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/Helper-Tool

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

p.1-3 of 13

Jul 23, 2021 3:39 PM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

Launchd: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist

Executable: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/Helper-Tool

Launchd: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist

Executable: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/Java Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Java Updater -bgcheck

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac4.Agent.plist

Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac4.Agent

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/Tablet/WacomTabletSpringboard

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.bluejeansnet.BlueJeansHelper.plist

Executable: /Applications/BlueJeans.app/Contents/Resources/daemon/BlueJeansHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/BlueJeansHelper

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist

Executable: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/Java Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Java Updater -bgcheck

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.sony.WirelessAutoImportLauncher.agent.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/WirelessAutoImport/WirelessImporterDaemon

Running app: /Library/Application Support/Tablet/WacomTabletDriver.app/Contents/Resources/WacomTouchDriver.app/Contents/MacOS/WacomTouchDriver

Running app: /Library/Application Support/Tablet/WacomTabletDriver.app/Contents/Resources/TabletDriver.app/Contents/MacOS/TabletDriver

Running app: /Library/DropboxHelperTools/Dropbox_u501/dbkextd

Details: Restrictive app permissions - possibly adware

Login Item: /Applications/Hotspot Shield.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/HotspotShieldHelper.app

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WacomNetscape.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WacomTabletPlugin.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Apowersoft Audio Device New.driver

Preference Pane: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/deploy/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

Preference Pane: /Library/PreferencePanes/Perian.prefPane

Preference Pane: /Library/PreferencePanes/WacomTablet.prefPane

Apps: 18

Old Applications:

44 32-bit apps

Kernel Extensions:

/Applications/PMHMac.app

[Not Loaded] SONYDeviceType01.kext - com.sony.driver.dsccamFirmwareUpdaterType00 (1.2.00.09240 - SDK 10.7)

/Applications/SoundTap.app

[Not Loaded] SoundTapVirtualAudioDevice.kext - com.NCHSoftware.driver.SoundTapVirtualAudioDevice (1.0.3 - SDK 10.6)

/Applications/Wondershare AllMyMusic.app

[Not Loaded] SystemAudioRecorder.kext - com.Perfect.Driver.SystemAudioRecorder (1.1.0 - SDK 10.6)

/Library/Extensions

[Not Loaded] EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext - com.epson.print.kext.USBPrintClass (EPSON, 2.2.7)

[Loaded] Dropbox.kext - com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext (Dropbox, Inc., 1.13.0 - SDK 10.14)

[Not Loaded] SONYDeviceType04.kext - com.sony.driver.dsccamDeviceInfo00 (Sony Corporation, 1.4.0.11070 - SDK 10.9)

/System/Library/Extensions

[Not Loaded] Wacom Tablet.kext - com.wacom.kext.wacomtablet (Wacom Tablet 6.2.0w4)

/Users/Shared/Apowersoft/Mac Online Launcher/Mac Online Launcher.app

[Blocked] Apowersoft_AudioDevice.kext - com.Apowersoft.driver.AudioDevice (Apowersoft Limited, 1.6.7 - SDK 10.11)

[Not Loaded] SystemSound.kext - com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.0.0 - SDK 10.8)

System Launch Daemons:

[Not Loaded] 37 Apple tasks

[Loaded] 176 Apple tasks

[Running] 118 Apple tasks

[Killed] 5 Apple tasks

System Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded] 15 Apple tasks

[Loaded] 161 Apple tasks

[Running] 118 Apple tasks

Jul 23, 2021 3:41 PM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

Launch Daemons:

[Loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.Communicator.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-01-09)

[Loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-01-09)

[Running] com.adobe.acc.installer.v2.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2021-07-21)

[Loaded] com.adobe.agsservice.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-04-16)

[Loaded] com.keenow.HelperTool.plist (Keen Internet Technologies Ltd - installed 2018-12-01)

[Loaded] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac4.Agent.plist (? 0 - installed )

[Running] com.malwarebytes.mbam.rtprotection.daemon.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2021-07-21)

[Running] com.malwarebytes.mbam.settings.daemon.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2021-07-06)

[Loaded] com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2019-05-01)

[Loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2015-12-06)

[Not Loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (? e3fefdd2 - installed 2021-06-09)

Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-02-24)

[Other] com.adobe.ARMDCHelper.cc24aef4a1b90ed56a725c38014c95072f92651fb65e1bf9c8e43c37a23d420d.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-02-24)

[Loaded] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2021-07-21)

[Running] com.adobe.GC.AGM.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-04-16)

[Not Loaded] com.adobe.GC.Invoker-1.0.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-04-16)

[Loaded] com.adobe.ccxprocess.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-06-13)

[Running] com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.agent.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2021-07-06)

[Not Loaded] com.microsoft.update.agent.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2019-05-01)

[Not Loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist (? 246af4fa - installed 2021-06-09)

[Not Loaded] com.sony.SonyAutoLauncher.agent.plist (Sony Corporation - installed 2017-12-06)

[Running] com.sony.WirelessAutoImportLauncher.agent.plist (? c33fba7e - installed 2017-12-06)

[Running] com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist (? 9e9edb5e - installed 2012-01-20)

User Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-02-24)

[Loaded] com.adobe.GC.Invoker-1.0.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-04-16)

[Running] com.bluejeansnet.BlueJeansHelper.plist (? 0 - installed 2018-12-13)

[Running] com.bluejeansnet.BlueJeansMenu.plist (Blue Jeans Network, Inc. - installed 2018-12-13)

[Loaded] com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2021-06-24)

[Loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2021-03-04)

[Not Loaded] com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2021-03-04)

[Not Loaded] org.hola.vpn.plist (? 0 - installed 2016-08-16)

User Login Items:

[Running] Dropbox (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2021-07-22)

Application

/Applications/Dropbox.app

[Not Loaded] HotspotShieldHelper (? - installed 2020-06-30)

Modern Login Item

/Applications/Hotspot Shield.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/HotspotShieldHelper.app

[Not Loaded] SpeedTestHelper (App Store - installed 2021-03-16)

Modern Login Item

/Applications/Speedtest.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/SpeedTestHelper.app

[Not Loaded] 5A4RE8SF68.com.tencent.xinWeChat.IPCHelper (Tencent Mobile International Limited - installed 2021-03-04)

Modern Login Item

/Applications/WeChat.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/5A4RE8SF68.com.tencent.xinWeChat.IPCHelper.app

[Running] iTunesHelper (Apple - installed 2021-04-27)

Application

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app

[Not Loaded] AppCleaner SmartDelete (Julien Ramseier - installed 2020-06-30)

Modern Login Item

~/Downloads/AppCleaner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AppCleaner SmartDelete.app

Internet Plug-ins:

AdobeAAMDetect: 3.0.0.0 (Adobe Inc. - installed 2021-07-21)

WacomNetscape: 1.1.1-1 (? - installed 2012-01-20)

Default Browser: (? - installed 2019-10-15)

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: 17.012.20098 (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-05-13)

AdobePDFViewer: 21.001.20155 (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2021-05-13)

WacomTabletPlugin: WacomTabletPlugin 2.0.0.4 (? - installed 2012-01-20)

JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 301 build 09 (? - installed 2021-07-21)

Jul 23, 2021 4:11 PM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

Audio Plug-ins:

AirPlay: 2.0 (Apple - installed 2020-10-30)

BridgeAudioSP: 4.69.2 (Apple - installed 2020-11-18)

iSightAudio: 7.7.3 (Apple - installed 2020-10-30)

AppleAVBAudio: 683.1 (Apple - installed 2020-10-30)

ZoomAudioDevice: 1.0 (Zoom Video Communications, Inc. - installed 2019-09-29)

Apowersoft Audio Device New: 1.0.0 (? - installed 2018-10-08)

BluetoothAudioPlugIn: 6.0.7 (Apple - installed 2020-10-30)

AppleTimeSyncAudioClock: 1.0 (Apple - installed 2020-10-30)

CoreMediaIO Plug-ins:

AppleCamera: 400.6.01 (Apple - installed 2020-11-18)

iOSScreenCapture: 814.0 (Apple - installed 2020-10-30)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Java (? - installed 2021-06-09)

Perian (? - installed 2011-07-23)

WacomTablet (? - installed 2012-01-20)

Backup:

Skip System Files: No

Auto backup: Yes

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 500.07 GB - Disk used: 476.37 GB

Destinations:

T************y [Local] (Last used)

Total size: 999.86 GB

Total number of backups: 14

Oldest backup: 2018-06-22 16:05:47

Last backup: 2021-07-14 10:08:34

2 local snapshots

Oldest local snapshot: 2021-07-14 10:06:53

Last local snapshot: 2021-07-23 16:01:21

Performance:

System Load: 8.26 (1 min ago) 14.21 (5 min ago) 18.18 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 0.00 MB/s

File system: 43.37 seconds

Write speed: 273 MB/s

Read speed: 1271 MB/s

CPU Usage Snapshot:

Type Overall

System: 5 %

User: 27 %

Idle: 68 %

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

plugin-container (11) 81.14 % (Mozilla Corporation)

Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (37) 70.54 % (Google, Inc.)

WindowServer 40.28 % (Apple)

Google Chrome Helper (GPU) 25.72 % (Google, Inc.)

EtreCheckPro 20.84 % (Etresoft, Inc.)

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:

Process (count) RAM usage (Source - Location)

plugin-container (11) 6.67 GB (Mozilla Corporation)

Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (37) 3.16 GB (Google, Inc.)

kernel_task 1.83 GB (Apple)

firefox 351 MB (Mozilla Corporation)

Adobe Photoshop 2020 240 MB (Adobe Systems, Inc.)

Top Processes Snapshot by Network Use:

Process Input / Output (Source - Location)

mDNSResponder 22 MB / 7 MB (Apple)

Dropbox 4 MB / 1 MB (Dropbox, Inc.)

firefox 2 MB / 3 MB (Mozilla Corporation)

netbiosd 239 KB / 70 KB (Apple)

usbmuxd 104 KB / 77 KB (Apple)

Top Processes Snapshot by Energy Use:

Process (count) Energy (0-100) (Source - Location)

Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (37) 18 (Google, Inc.)

WindowServer 9 (Apple)

Google Chrome Helper (GPU) 4 (Google, Inc.)

plugin-container (11) 3 (Mozilla Corporation)

coreaudiod 2 (Apple)

Virtual Memory Information:

Physical RAM: 16 GB

Free RAM: 21 MB

Used RAM: 13.55 GB

Cached files: 2.43 GB

Available RAM: 2.45 GB

Swap Used: 10.83 GB

Software Installs (past 60 days):

Install Date Name (Version)

2021-06-29 XProtectPlistConfigData (2149)

2021-06-29 MRTConfigData (1.81)

2021-07-21 Java 8 Update 301 (1.8.301.09)

2021-07-21 Malwarebytes for Mac (1.0)

Clean up:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.hola.vpn.plist

HolaVPN.app

Executable not found

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2021-07-23 16:21:05 WindowServer - High CPU Use (2 times)

Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/Resources/WindowServer

Jul 23, 2021 5:11 PM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

2021-07-22 20:12:56 siriknowledged - Crash (2 times)

Executable: /usr/libexec/siriknowledged

Details:

Could not cast value of type 'Swift.Double' (0x7fffb4bb28e8) to 'Swift

.Int64' (0x7fffb4bb4ae8).

2021-07-22 19:21:05 Firefox.app - High CPU Use

Executable: /Applications/Firefox.app

2021-07-22 16:05:48 Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018.app - High CPU Use (3 times)

Executable: /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018.app

Details:

abort() called

*** error for object 0x7fad949401b8: incorrect checksum for freed obje

ct - object was probably modified after being freed.

2021-07-22 11:40:41 usernoted - Memory (3 times)

Executable: /usr/sbin/usernoted

2021-07-22 11:34:23 Software Update.app - Memory (3 times)

Executable: /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app

2021-07-21 22:33:08 trustd - Memory (5 times)

Executable: /usr/libexec/trustd

Details:

objc_msgSend() selector name: length

2021-07-21 19:37:06 AppleSpell - Memory (4 times)

Executable: /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/MacOS/AppleSpell

2021-07-21 13:36:42 mds - Memory

Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds

2021-07-21 12:59:41 Google Chrome.app - Hang

Executable: /Applications/Google Chrome.app

2021-07-21 12:53:58 MRT.app - Memory (3 times)

Executable: /System/Library/CoreServices/MRT.app

2021-07-21 12:53:02 sharedfilelistd - Memory (3 times)

Executable: /System/Library/CoreServices/sharedfilelistd

2021-07-21 12:52:46 cfprefsd - Memory (3 times)

Executable: /usr/sbin/cfprefsd

2021-07-21 12:10:15 Adobe Premiere Pro 2020.app - Hang

Executable: /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro 2020/Adobe Premiere Pro 2020.app

2021-07-21 11:23:22 cloudd - Crash

Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CloudKitDaemon.framework/Support/cloudd

Details:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistency

Exception', reason: 'Path /Users/***/Library/Containers/com.apple.Note

s/*/StagingAssets deleted/renamed, crashing.'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

End of report

(I hope it isn't irritating that i posted the report in chunks!)

Jul 24, 2021 6:34 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks! Sorry, I see the button now for "additional text." I suppose I'll need to run Etrecheck again to provide a complete report.

In the meantime I ran Disk Utility and did a First Aid to the Container disk1 of the Macintosh HD. It ran for 25 seconds and showed a message at the 18 second mark:

"The volume /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely."

I clicked "Show Details" and retrieved this report.

Verifying storage system

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -x -l /dev/disk0s2

Checking volume.

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the object map.

Checking the object map.

error: snap_metadata_val object (oid 0x194e574): invalid extentref_tree_oid (0x0)

Snapshot metadata tree is invalid.

The volume /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely.

Storage system check exit code is 0.

Operation successful.

Jul 24, 2021 11:48 AM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

Since the error is related to the snapshot tree you can try to delete the two TM snapshots to see if the First Aid error goes away. If the error remains after deleting the two TM snapshots, then this error easily be causing your problems. Unfortunately the only way to fix it if First Aid is unable to fix it is by erasing the whole physical drive ("Apple SSD.....") and restore from a backup or clone.

See this article for instructions for deleting the APFS TM snapshots:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/reclaiming-drive-space-by-thinning-apple-file-system-snapshot-backups/

Don't worry about re-posting the EtreCheck report.

Jul 26, 2021 5:11 AM in response to RaymondKowalchuk

To check the health of the SSD run DriveDx and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. You can also attempt to run the SSD's short internal self-test if it is supported (the long/extended selftest is not available in the trial period except by using the command line to initiate it).

If deleting the snapshots did not allow First Aid to run clean, then the only way to resolve the file system issue is by erasing the whole physical SSD. You can attempt to run First Aid while booted into Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) or from a bootable macOS USB installer, but make sure to run & check First Aid again while booted into macOS normally. I've seen First Aid report differing results -- Disk Utility is a terrible app, but it is all we have to use for checking the file system integrity.

My Intel Macbook Pro late 2015 is booting very slowly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.