Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Contacts launches but will not open

I am unable to access my contacts on my Mac. The app launches, but then will not open -- I cannot see any names/addresses. The Contacts app does appear in Force Quick. Force Quit is the only way to quit the app.

I am running Big Sur (11.4)on a Mac Mini M1.

I've only had this computer for 2 weeks. Contacts was working fine for the first 10 days before the problem appeared.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 10:07 AM

Thank you.

I believe the problem was related to a permissions issue.

I had 2 accounts that were set for syncing: my work Exchange Account, and iCloud. I un-clicked Contacts in both accounts and I was able to launch Contacts. When I clicked Exchange contacts I was able to start Contacts.

When I added iCloud contacts without un-clicking Exchange, Contacts would not launch. When I attempted to launch Contacts with only iCloud contacts clicked, a window opened and asked if I wanted to merge contacts. At that point I received a window that said I needed to authorize the Mac. Apparently I had reached the limit on the number of computers that were authorized for iCloud.

With an authorized Mac, I was able to open Contacts with both iCloud and Exchanged synching.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for your help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 10:07 AM in response to David Ris

Thank you.

I believe the problem was related to a permissions issue.

I had 2 accounts that were set for syncing: my work Exchange Account, and iCloud. I un-clicked Contacts in both accounts and I was able to launch Contacts. When I clicked Exchange contacts I was able to start Contacts.

When I added iCloud contacts without un-clicking Exchange, Contacts would not launch. When I attempted to launch Contacts with only iCloud contacts clicked, a window opened and asked if I wanted to merge contacts. At that point I received a window that said I needed to authorize the Mac. Apparently I had reached the limit on the number of computers that were authorized for iCloud.

With an authorized Mac, I was able to open Contacts with both iCloud and Exchanged synching.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for your help.

Jul 25, 2021 11:08 AM in response to David Ris

Salutations David Ris, 

We understand the Contacts app launches but never shows you any of the data stored or synced. 

You mentioned we’re working with macOS 11.4. Let’s begin by updating to macOS 11.5, after creating a backup. How to back up your Mac

If there is no change, next let’s boot to safe mode and try to launch the Contacts app there. How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists, restart your Mac, so we can get back to a regular boot. Then, let's keep isolating. Can you tell us whether you have your contacts syncing with any accounts, such as iCloud or another account? You can verify in System Preferences > Internet Accounts. If you are, let’s uncheck Contacts for those accounts. Then attempt to launch the app. Does it launch enough to allow you to add contacts? If yes, go back to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and recheck your syncing accounts one at a time, testing after each account. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Apple Contacts launches but will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.