Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor retreats to bottom left corner of screen and doesn't want to leave it

Hey,

I've read similar threads to this but most are from 2012/13 and I didn't see any fix discussed.

I've got an M1 MBP and my cursor keeps vanishing to the bottom left corner of the screen and it takes a lot of trackpad "scribbles" to get it back out, only for it to go back in again after a few seconds.

This happens daily, a reboot resolves it for a while, but it's really affecting productivity now so I need to get it sorted.

Since a reboot temporarily resolves it, I do not believe it's a hardware issue.

It can happen when I'm running Logic Pro X but I watch the CPU and it's down low, so I don't think this is worth focusing on. It also continues to happen after I've closed Logic.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some button combo restart I can do to reset something.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 1:17 PM

For anyone who may be encountering this issue in 2021 or on an M1 device. None of the tips or tricks worked for me. Safe Mode, button combo start ups, updates, nothing. Skip it all if you're facing this issue.

What worked (so far, it's been 5 of days) with the help of a very knowledgable escalations agent at Apple Support, was a complete reinstall of the OS.

When doing that, he realised from Disk Utility, that the OS was never properly installed on the device (seemingly at factory), to begin with.

I backed up to an EXT HDD using Time Machine. Nuked the SSD (I wasn't a fan of this either but I had no choice because the disk was so borked that it kept telling me I needed more space to just reinstall the OS without nuking. It would tell me I needed 800 more MBS, I would delete 5GBs, It would then tell me I needed 1.27 more GBs. This repeated about 4 more times before we just decided to nuke it), reinstalled the OS fresh, then used my backup from the HDD on the migration tool during initial setup.

I've had no issues since doing that.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 1:17 PM in response to MarkLeanings

For anyone who may be encountering this issue in 2021 or on an M1 device. None of the tips or tricks worked for me. Safe Mode, button combo start ups, updates, nothing. Skip it all if you're facing this issue.

What worked (so far, it's been 5 of days) with the help of a very knowledgable escalations agent at Apple Support, was a complete reinstall of the OS.

When doing that, he realised from Disk Utility, that the OS was never properly installed on the device (seemingly at factory), to begin with.

I backed up to an EXT HDD using Time Machine. Nuked the SSD (I wasn't a fan of this either but I had no choice because the disk was so borked that it kept telling me I needed more space to just reinstall the OS without nuking. It would tell me I needed 800 more MBS, I would delete 5GBs, It would then tell me I needed 1.27 more GBs. This repeated about 4 more times before we just decided to nuke it), reinstalled the OS fresh, then used my backup from the HDD on the migration tool during initial setup.

I've had no issues since doing that.

Jul 25, 2021 8:09 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Hi Matti,

It should indeed still be in warranty, I purchased it just in April of this year. Though I purchased it in Spain and live in Ireland, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

It hasn't been exposed to any high temperatures or anything (I treat it like my first born child). So could a battery issue be a manufacturing defect?

I still believe the issue is more likely to he SW though, given that the restart resolves for a period.

Thanks

Jul 28, 2021 5:31 AM in response to MarkLeanings

Well it took 2 days of average to heavy usage on Logic without the bug reoccurring. But now it has returned on day 3 post SWU, whilst only using Chrome to write an email. Logic hasn't been launched since yesterday, it was closed before midnight.

Chrome has 3 tabs open including this one and a Google doc I'm writing. CPU meter in my dock is showing just 1 bar at the bottom.

Mouse cursor retreats to bottom left corner of screen and doesn't want to leave it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.