Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music on Mac missing Listen Now and Browse (solution found in strange place)

This was a weird problem. I just started my Apple Music trial. It works fine on my iPad, but on both the Macs I use, I see:

Library
 Recently Added
 Artists
 Albums
 Songs
Devices
 (my iPhone, but not my iPad (other problem, I guess...)
Playlists
 All Palylsts
 GarageBand

Missing is:

Apple Music
 Listen Now
 Browse

I searched the forums, and the question has been asked several times, but the solutions go in several other directions, and there is little follow-up or expansion of the topic, and this particular solution was not suggested in the several discussions I read.

The solution for me was to launch Music and then click Music - Preferences - Restrictions. There I had

iTunes Store

disabled.

I did this years ago because iTunes was an ongoing source of problems, and I didn't want to use it. I don't even remember all the problems I was having, but I imagine a lot of Mac users did the same as me. Now I still don't care to use iTunes, but I'd like to try Apple Music. IT DOES NOT SAY ANYWHERE IN THE SETUP FOR APPLE MUSIC THAT THE TWO ARE LINKED, so when I originally checked on this missing Listen Now and Browse problem, in these very settings, I did not re-enable iTunes Store.

So, I took and chance and unclicked

iTunes Store

and suddenly

Music Profiles
 Apple Music 

appeared in iTunes Store's place. And now Apple Music is finally working for me on my Mac.

Is this an unintentional oversight that has persisted because none of the developers at Apple had iTunes Stores disabled? Re-enabling iTunes Store was not an obvious or intuitive solution to this problem.

search keys: no browse, no listen now

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 8:31 PM

I can't edit the comment, so here is the missing screenshot of the fixed options:

Also, I had a devil of a time trying to find this comment again. Are the forums broken? How do I find my comments here? "My Subscriptions" doesn't show anything for me. ... Oh, now that I've begun replying to myself, there is ONE thread there (I've commented a dozen or so times over the years). Profile does not show my other comments. What's going on? There used to be an option here to see the threads I've participated in. Apparently I have to search for my ID, and that shows only one other thread. Most of my contributions are missing.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2021 8:31 PM in response to gregconquest

I can't edit the comment, so here is the missing screenshot of the fixed options:

Also, I had a devil of a time trying to find this comment again. Are the forums broken? How do I find my comments here? "My Subscriptions" doesn't show anything for me. ... Oh, now that I've begun replying to myself, there is ONE thread there (I've commented a dozen or so times over the years). Profile does not show my other comments. What's going on? There used to be an option here to see the threads I've participated in. Apparently I have to search for my ID, and that shows only one other thread. Most of my contributions are missing.

Apple Music on Mac missing Listen Now and Browse (solution found in strange place)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.