Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Natural scrolling turned itself off, can't toggle back on

Within the last 48 hours, natural scrolling on my Macbook Air M1 turned itself off, and I can't turn it back on.

Within system preferences, it still shows it checked, or on. If I uncheck it, and restart my computer, nothing changes. If I check it again, and restart my computer again, nothing changes. No matter what I do, the scrolling behavior remains "unnatural."

This happened prior to the latest update to MacOS 11.5, so when the update appeared I hoped installing it might fix things, but nope, no change.

I am using an external, wired mouse. If I used the trackpad on my laptop, then it works properly at the same time that the mouse doesn't work properly.

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 6:22 AM

SOLVED: I have a Logitech keyboard that uses the Logi Options software. I also have a Logitech mouse, although I never use the Logi Options software to do anything with the mouse. I recently updated the Logi Options software, and when I did, it updates the mouse settings to "Standard." This overrode the settings in MacOS system preferences. When I went into Logi Options I was able to change the settings on my mouse to "Natural" and now everything is back to normal.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 6:22 AM in response to donloper

SOLVED: I have a Logitech keyboard that uses the Logi Options software. I also have a Logitech mouse, although I never use the Logi Options software to do anything with the mouse. I recently updated the Logi Options software, and when I did, it updates the mouse settings to "Standard." This overrode the settings in MacOS system preferences. When I went into Logi Options I was able to change the settings on my mouse to "Natural" and now everything is back to normal.

Natural scrolling turned itself off, can't toggle back on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.