Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference returns June 10, 2024

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden MDM after MS Intune Customer Portal App

One month ago i installed Intune Company Portal (Microsoft) on my personal iPhone 8 (version 14.7) so as to use Teams, Outlook etc due to business reasons. I then decided to remove Device management on my iPhone and restore it to it's factory settings.

Now, on the setup screen, my phone goes to Device Management Mode (MDM) by "Pearson Institute Inc." (my company is not "Pearson Institute" and I am not related to them for any reason) and when i proceed my phone goes to single app mode opening only "Intune Company Portal" without giving me the ability to sign in.

I managed to bypass the setup MDM screen after a lot of tries by consulting this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqDMOOkTH3s&t=289s

Unfortunately, still in Settings my iPhone says that my device is Supervised and Managed by "Pearson Institute Inc."

Also in Settings->General-> there is no option in removing Device Management whatsoever. My company's IT administrators have removed my device from Microsoft servers, but my device still says that is Supervised.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

Thank you in advance!

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 12:13 PM

The device was either stolen or not released properly. It was purchased by Pearson Education, Inc and their setup forces the installation of the Company Portal app and they have a profile that locks it into single app mode. Once you log in, they probably have it set up to remove the single app mode and then allow use of the device. You should contact the company for further assistance. Only the company that owns the device can release it. Neither the users providing advice here, nor Apple are able to assist with this.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2021 12:13 PM in response to reeggo

The device was either stolen or not released properly. It was purchased by Pearson Education, Inc and their setup forces the installation of the Company Portal app and they have a profile that locks it into single app mode. Once you log in, they probably have it set up to remove the single app mode and then allow use of the device. You should contact the company for further assistance. Only the company that owns the device can release it. Neither the users providing advice here, nor Apple are able to assist with this.

Jul 27, 2021 11:06 AM in response to celliott147

Yes I bought the device second hand a year ago, from an individual. Since then haven’t restored it once to see if it happens again.

The funny thing is that after installing company portal app from Microsoft, although in the initial setup device management refers to “Pearson Education Inc.”, the phone goes to single app mode in MS company portal app ?!

I can’t understand how these two are correlated.

I have managed to bypass MDM screen and to erase the “Supervised and managed” message in settings, but is kind of frustrating to know that the device is managed from an unknown (to me) organisation.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sudden MDM after MS Intune Customer Portal App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.