Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain in iOS 14.7.1

Hi,

Battery drain is happening after updated to iOS 14.7, the percent is jumping from 77% to 71% without almost any use, I am using the iPhone 11 Pro normal and my battery health is still on 100%.

Is anyone experiencing this too?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 4:54 AM

197 replies

Aug 14, 2021 3:30 AM in response to zerOO704

Nah, I give up. Seems like every solution helps for a while, but then again phone starts to melt.

What I’ve tried so far during last 2 months:

• removed all widgets
  • turned off mail fetch/push
  • removed most of apps
  • turned off find my
  • restored via phone restore
  • restored via mac
  • reset network settings
  • turned off screen time (was off, so turned on, turned off)

After every fix I saw that battery becomes ok. But next day all of a sudden I feel that phone is warm, and battery dropped by 20% in an hour, all while standby. Funny enough I have cheap old redmi phone which I use for development, and it lasts a week on standby.

I’ve tried to hook up Xcode and watch activity monitor, but after I connected bug seems missing and I can’t even make my phone warm. Anyway, I don’t even know what to watch, because most of the processes don’t show up at google, or maybe it’s gpu that works hard.

Aug 1, 2021 10:14 AM in response to raghavkad

Yes I have this too, only since upgrading to 14.7.1 from 14.7 earlier this week.

The battery drained 50% this morning from a full charge in 3 hours. I didn’t touch the phone.

The main culprit is the browser, according to the data.

iPhone 11 Pro. Battery health is 88% but this drain problem only started happening after the upgrade.

Aug 1, 2021 7:40 PM in response to cpena28

I also experienced battery drain on my iPhone 11 Pro (HK edition with 2 physical SIMs).

What I realize was happening after updating to 14.7.1 is my "primary" line will always appear to have no reception when I wake the phone, it takes a few second for reception to fully restore.

While my "secondary" line has full reception as usual.

I figured, my "primary" line must be constantly trying to establish reception, I was draining the battery at approximately 10% every hour.

Decided to "Reset Network" settings to see if it will fix my issue, I am glad to report that my battery drain was solved with this action.

My "primary" line and "secondary" line are both showing full reception as usual. It's been 5 hours since full charge, and my battery life has not dropped even 1% through my usual usage practices.

Aug 9, 2021 6:50 AM in response to V_savings

V_savings wrote: "I’m experiencing the same battery drain issue one day after upgrading to 14.7.1."

V_savings ~ Try resetting your Network Settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

The above was suggested by NCheok in this same thread you've posted in. See NCheok's post here:

õ¿õ¬

Aug 10, 2021 1:32 AM in response to Lupi91320

Lupi91320 wrote: "I have the 11 ProMax. After the update to 14.7.1 listening to a 40 minute downloaded podcast drained 25% of the battery!"

Try resetting your Network Settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

The above was suggested by NCheok in this same thread you've posted in. See NCheok's post here:

õ¿õ¬

Aug 15, 2021 8:53 AM in response to BMinCO

BMinCO wrote: "14.7.0 started the battery drain problem on my 6s and 14.7.1 seems to make it worse. I have the apple extra battery pack and the phone keeps shutting itself off (peak power issue) or my battery fully drains in minutes! Argh, Apple, why are you so bad at this?!?"

BMinCO ~ The long process of applying an iOS update can kill a weak, aging battery. The "peak power issue" and the "extra battery pack" making no difference attests to the weak state of your iPhone 6s's battery. ...Is it still the original one? And what's the Maximum Capacity % here?...

Settings > Battery > Battery Health

Considering the model and age, it's quite likely the battery simply needs to be replaced:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Aug 20, 2021 11:02 PM in response to Killzone_Kid

I'd take a look at this first:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

https://support.apple.com/HT208387

https://support.apple.com/HT210512

Also cross reference the issue with different chargers(or computer), all USB ports (if using a computer), and different cords (if possible).

However, if those steps don't work, you don't want to call AppleCare, and you're worried whether it's a hardware or software issue, follow these steps:

Back up

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Restore to factory

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

If your battery is still draining while plugged in, without any of your data or apps on the phone, then it's probably safe to say you need to get the battery checked out by Apple.

If your battery is perfect again, then you can restore your phone from the backup and see if everything is still good.

Restore from backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

I hope that helps and good luck!

Aug 25, 2021 7:16 PM in response to PWD90

If the issue still occurs after a full factory restore and the phone isn't struggling to connect to cellular/wifi, then it sounds like you've narrowed it down to the OS as the cause of the issue. The last iOS notes about an issue of the battery reading not being accurate was brought up in iOS 14.5 (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212247).

I didn't notice the issue until 14.6 and my phone's issue was solved after backing up my phone to my computer, although the iOS and MacOS were already up-to-date. I have noticed that my cellular strength is less, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the battery. I also wonder if the adoption of 5G is having an effect for the people that reset the network settings and still have the battery drainage issue.

Hopefully Apple will release 14.7.2 to address people still having the battery issue so we're not waiting for iOS 15 to address it.

Aug 29, 2021 10:16 AM in response to cpena28

I have had the same issue on iphone 6s. I upgraded to 14.7.1 after replacing with a new battery.

2 days ago had got the battery replaced (with a genuine apple battery) at an authorized service center and after that I upgraded to ios 14.7.1

Tried everything:

• disabled wifi
  • disabled background refresh
  • disabled raise to wake
  • deleted all widgets

Still not resolved. Battery drains out in a few hours without any activity.

Wish I had not upgraded. Also since 14.7.1 is a signed version so cannot downgrade as well. Apple please help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.