Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Update - device not working

Since the recent update to Big Sur, my Canon Pixma Scanner will not work (non permission error message). Have been in touch with Canon who are aware of the issue but state I must contact Apple. Anyone have an easy fix for me please? Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 7:59 AM

Similar questions

21 replies

Jul 30, 2021 8:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis

Canon Pixma 3550 Print/Copy/Scan. I downloaded driver some years ago and it has worked perfectly, although I realise it is excess to requirement now. Tried to download updated version of scanner software, to no effect.

Printer and copier are both working okay. The error message comes up on the Canon Scan window - see screenshot... I have never used Preview to scan but have just tried and same error message appears! Thx

Jul 30, 2021 8:18 AM in response to EmmieT

What model? Is there a driver for it compatible with Big Sur?

Where are you seeing the error message? In a Canon application?

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Can you scan using Image Capture or Preview?

As long as there is a compatible driver, you do not need a manufacturer's scanning application.

I use Preview to scan:

File->Import from (scanner name)

works great. (I don't have Canon scanners, but have used this for years with other scanners; I haven't installed any manufacturer application in maybe a decade, and the same continues to work in Big Sur)

Jul 30, 2021 8:36 AM in response to EmmieT

Here is what I think may be happening: there may be an application, perhaps hidden somewhere (i.e. not right there in the Applications folder) that is called under the hood when scanning; this application is a little old and has not been digitally signed.

If we can find it, then we may be able to make it work, because this poses a problem typically only when the application is launched for the first time; if we launch it once, we are in business.

So try using Spotlight to search for "Canon IJScanner13f". If you can find it, open a Finder window in its location.

Control-click the file and choose Open. What happens?

Sep 1, 2021 11:22 AM in response to EmmieT

I've tried these things, too, even the support idea from Camp_mother. Still doesn't show up to be able to scan. It's strange, though, because I'm having this problem on my desktop computer (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 running BigSur 11.5.2) but not on my laptop (MacBook Air, Retina, 13-inch, 2019 running BigSur 11.5.2). Scanner shows up fine on the laptop. Doesn't show at all on the iMac.

Sep 1, 2021 6:43 PM in response to arborsouth

In desperation I went into Applications and deleted every possible printer & scanner driver that existed as an earlier download.

I also deleted all existing printers and scanners in my Settings/printers.

Then from the Canon official website in my country, I downloaded fresh printer and scanner drivers for SUR and the MacBook in question.

Somehow that got the beast started both for both print & scan function. I refrained from downloading any of the other desktop features (Garden, desktop menu, etc).

Big Sur Update - device not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.