Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user

For some reason the touch id stopped working in my MacBook Pro 13" 2016 after I deleted a user and all it's content and I tried to add a fingerprint for my admin user. It was working fine before I did this. I have updated to the latest Big Sur OS 11.5.1

Please, can anyone help? My original fingerprint disappeared and when I try to add a fingerprint and the process starts and asks to put my finger on the touch id square, immediately a message comes up "FAILURE. Unable to complete touch id enrollment, please go back and try again." Afterwards, a new message appears: "Touch id enrollment was interrupted". I have restarted, pressed Shif+control+option for 30 seconds before starting Mac but nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 7:44 PM

pachis Said:

"Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user: Didn't work Thanks for your help!"

-------

Get This Serviced:

Having troubleshot this with a new, fresh install, this seems like none other than a hardware error. So, get this serviced. Take it to a retailer, or to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider).

Contacting an AASP:

So, take to to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they offer service for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 7:44 PM in response to pachis

pachis Said:

"Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user: Didn't work Thanks for your help!"

-------

Get This Serviced:

Having troubleshot this with a new, fresh install, this seems like none other than a hardware error. So, get this serviced. Take it to a retailer, or to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider).

Contacting an AASP:

So, take to to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they offer service for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

Jul 30, 2021 3:45 PM in response to pachis

pachis Said:

"Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user: Thanks. Tried it, but nothing. :("

-------

You are welcome.

Try Some Reinstalls:

A. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more.

or...

B. Reinstall Anew:

Contact the Developers, if need be, for a prior version of the macOS you upgraded from. I'm no so certain how long a backup would take, and if it would be an option, but you'd need to back it up prior to the reinstall, if not backup already exists.

Reinstall the macOS anew:

Pretty much, it is a matter of: Backing up your Mac, Installing the macOS, and then migrate items back.

1. Create: a Time Machine Backup using an external Hard Drive
  2. Install: from a USB Installer created for Big Sur
  3. Migrate: items from your TMB
  4. Download then Install: the applications, getting the programs back from the Developers.

Jul 31, 2021 7:41 AM in response to pachis

pachis Said:

"Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user: I'm trying to reinstall Big Sur following your step A. but when I get to select disk it only gives the option for Macintosh HD and it says there's not enough space, it doesn't show me Macintosh HD data. How do I go around this? I greatly appreciate your help"

-------

You are welcome.

Troubleshooting This:

Too much is likely running in the background. System resources are probably being eaten up quite a bit. If the following does not work, then proceed with Step B. from above. So, here is what to try....

Boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot] and then perform the following:

A. Remove: Login Items:

See if Safari and/or Chrome are Login Items. If so, remove them as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if it/they no longer load(s) at login.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items preferences on Mac - Apple Support.

B. Uninstall: Security Software:

Any Security Software installed on your computer? If so, uninstall it. Use the Uninstaller for to do so, getting the Uninstaller directly from my Developer’s site, as getting it else where may result in Malware or Spyware being installed. If you are uncertain which to download, then as the Developer. What is it doing is running you through VPN (Virtual Private Network), and your location is seen elsewhere — perhaps a location that this site is inaccessible to.

C. Scan: your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

D. Clean: Space:

Delete: Unneeded, Large Files:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.  Virtual Machines can be in the double and triple digits of GBs of data.

E. Clear: Temporary Internet Files:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

Jul 30, 2021 2:29 PM in response to pachis

pachis Said:

"Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user: [...]Afterwards, a new message appears: "Touch id enrollment was interrupted". I have restarted, pressed Shif+control+option for 30 seconds before starting Mac but nothing. Any suggestions?[...]"

-------

Try as Provided here: Touch ID Not Working on your Mac? How To Fix - macReports

Safe Mode:

Reset the SMC and NVRAM. Safe Mode seems the best route. [Hold Down: shift key upon boot]. So, boot into it, trying to log in. Wait 30 seconds, and then restart the Mac.

Aug 1, 2021 12:52 PM in response to pachis

pachis Said:

"Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user: Thanks, I'll do that when I get my older MacBook Air up to date so I can use it meanwhile, since it is my work tool."

-------

You are welcome.

Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to updating. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update.

Jul 31, 2021 9:21 AM in response to TheLittles

Thank you, again. I was able to reinstall Big Sur by following your step on removing Log in items (it was One Drive). But the touch id is still not working. Then i searched for malware through the link you provided, but nothing was detected. I uninstalled the software. I think I am going to do a clean reinstallation of the computer wiping up my HD and starting from scratch. I have a TM back up. Hoping that will help.

I will post back when the process is over. Thank you again.

Touch ID stopped working after deleting a user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.