You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur "You do not have permission to open the application..."

You do not have permission to open the application “EPSON ET-2710 Series.app”.

So getting this message since installing Big Sur 11.5, now got 11.5.1 and still and issue.

This is on 3 different Mac's running both M1 and Intel.

M1 iMac 2021

M1 MacBook Pro 2020

Intel MacBook Pro 15inch

They all now have the latest MacOS Big Sur and all suffer the same problem.

We can print but can't open the scanner or print queue, I've tried a number of suggestions online but nothing is working. Even restarted the printer and computers. I feel this is an Epson printer app problem related to Big Sur 11.5/11.5.1 as I also have a HP Laser printer via USB on the iMac and a Canon scanner that works.

We need access to the scanner and other function of the Epson as its out main colour printer, help Apple!

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 1:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 12:19 AM

UPDATE - So I tried again to get it working, sorry don't know who suggested this as I can't find the post.

So click on the Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/Devices now in here you'll find the Epson scanner app, mine is called 'EPSON ES016E.app' but yours might differ.

Double click on it to open, mine didn't actually open anything.

Now in the Dock click on the Epson printer icon. Then click on the scanner button, top right usually.

Now it should run. I tried this 2 or 3 times before it actually worked.

Thanks again for the feedback and help from everyone!

Stay safe.

Similar questions

39 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2021 12:19 AM in response to Craig Best

UPDATE - So I tried again to get it working, sorry don't know who suggested this as I can't find the post.

So click on the Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/Devices now in here you'll find the Epson scanner app, mine is called 'EPSON ES016E.app' but yours might differ.

Double click on it to open, mine didn't actually open anything.

Now in the Dock click on the Epson printer icon. Then click on the scanner button, top right usually.

Now it should run. I tried this 2 or 3 times before it actually worked.

Thanks again for the feedback and help from everyone!

Stay safe.

Aug 2, 2021 6:52 PM in response to Spykej

Here is the Epson download page for MacOS.

https://support-origin.epson.net/setupnavi/?LG2=EN&OSC=MI&MKN=ET-2710&PINF=setup#P_SWS

You will also get an app called 'Epson Scan 2' it works, not tried all the features so I don't know if its any better than VueScan, which I haven't used in years and not tried it with this scanner/printer.

Now I just wish the scan button on the printer queue would link to this app.

Aug 12, 2021 9:09 PM in response to Craig Best

I have a similar problem with a HP printer. I have to physically crawl under my desk and unplug and plug in the power cable to get the printer to work. In this last “upgrade” the workaround from HP does not work. Can’t afford another printer at this point, “unemployed and on a fixed income” to resolve the problem. But, with the upgrade I cannot use other Apple apps, terminal will not allow me to use “Visual Code” or switch from Terminal to Atom. I am in a fog.

Aug 31, 2021 4:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Afraid opening the Epson Scanner App in HD/Library/Image Capture/Devices did not work because it is a 32 bit app, so will not run in Big Sur. Done all the updates from the Epson website, including ICA driver, Epson Scan 2, Epson Scan 2 utility, etc etc. Still unable to communicate with scanner from PDF Pen Pro, Photoshop 2021 and Epson Scan 2. The latter was working but since updating to 11.5.2, it no longer works with same problems as other apps - unable to communicate with Scanner error 21345. Support from Epson non-existent - don't even bother to reply. Their instructions are very inconsistent. On one page Epson says to download and install their ICA driver and on another they say to download updates only from Apple (there are none). I am left with a very expensive Epson photo scanner (V700) as a large paper weight. Not happy. Usual buck passing going on. My suspicion is that the 700/750 scanner driver is pointing to Epson Scanner App, which will not run as 32 bit. It should be pointing to Epson Scan 2. The system will not permit adding Epson Scan 2.app to the list of devices in Image Capture in the HD library. I will try deleting some plist files and see if that will wake things up. That has worked for me in the past.

Aug 31, 2021 5:15 AM in response to RWilsonLaidlaw

Finally success. I went into the HD/library and the User/library then preferences. I deleted every single plist file at every level that might have anything to do with a)Apple system files for scanning b)Epson scanning and scanning apps and c)Image Capture. I then restarted, which took a long time so must have been a lot of tidying up taking place. Now scanning works from Image Capture, PDF Pen Pro, Photoshop 2021 and Preview. Phew!

If you over delete plist files, don't worry as at worst they will be still sitting in the trash can but in practice, they will all re-create clean versions. Big Sur on M1 machines seem particularly prone to preference file problems. I had to do a similar job recently to get my internet to connect to all addresses. Originally it would only connect to Google. I think the DNS preferences plist file was causing a blockage.

Aug 31, 2021 12:20 PM in response to Craig Best

I have the Canon MF743Cdw laser colour printer and I was having the error about permissions on the scan application as well. I found the solution was to hold the command (apple key) down while launching the app and finally the app loaded properly and I could get into the settings to control where things were saved, etc. Once I launched the app this way it remembered I allowed it and I didn't have to hold the command key down in future times. It seems that Canon and Apple need to work together to make sure Canon devices are trusted by the OSX in the future so it doesn't frustrate end users.

Sep 9, 2021 8:08 AM in response to Craig Best

Thank you Craig for posting your steps! This method resolved my problem with Epson Perfection V30 scanner. Also, I suggest to connect cable directly to the Mac. I bought the Monoprice 2.0 USB-C to USB Type-B Printer Cable which allows me to connect directly to the back of my Mac and avoid any 3rd parties flimsy adapters or hubs

Sep 10, 2021 9:59 AM in response to Craig Best

Craig was spot on with the path

However, my solution was to change the EPSON permission from everyone-read to everyone-read\write and the scanner then loaded in Image Capture App.

Big Sur "You do not have permission to open the application..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.