Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external cd drive

I connected a external cd drive on my 2019 mac book pro, went to finder and clicked external is checked in finder but nothing comes up or opens on screen. I cannot even ejecta cd.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 8:16 PM

xraydriver51 Said:

"external cd drive : I connected a external cd drive on my 2019 mac book pro, went to finder and clicked external is checked in finder but nothing comes up or opens on screen. I cannot even ejecta cd."

-------

Verify the Connection:

See if the Drive is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Select:: About this Mac...
  4. Click: System Report... button
  5. Select: Disc Burning (on the left of screen)
  6. Look For: this SuperDrive
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 8:16 PM in response to xraydriver51

xraydriver51 Said:

"external cd drive : I connected a external cd drive on my 2019 mac book pro, went to finder and clicked external is checked in finder but nothing comes up or opens on screen. I cannot even ejecta cd."

-------

Verify the Connection:

See if the Drive is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Select:: About this Mac...
  4. Click: System Report... button
  5. Select: Disc Burning (on the left of screen)
  6. Look For: this SuperDrive

Aug 10, 2021 5:37 PM in response to xraydriver51

xraydriver51 Said:

"external cd drive: Well good news I found it in disc utilities as well. However there's no play load or even eject options."

-------

Good to hear that it is seen...

What else to try:

A. Any Builtin DVD Drives?:

Does your Mac have a builtin DVD drive? If so, not that an external superdrive is not going to be seen. Period!

B. Use another Computer:

Insert this drive into another computer to eject it.

C. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for USB ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

D. What Else to Try:

View this link's reply by Kappy: I can't eject my disk from USB Superdrive that is connected to my Macbook Pro. - Apple Support

Aug 1, 2021 8:37 PM in response to xraydriver51

xraydriver51 Said:

"external cd drive : Yes is shows it’s there when I select disc burning. However I does not show up anywhere else?"

-------

Restart your Mac:

It should show up on the desktop. So, shut down the Mac for 30 seconds > unplug to drive > wait 30 seconds > plug in the drive > power on the Mac > log back in > See if it is now seen.

external cd drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.