Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keys on Macbook Air (Early-2015) not working?

Recently 5 of my keys on my Macbook stopped working out of the blue. They are the F12 key, squiggle key under ESC, the plus/equal key as well as both bracket keys. The keys register when I use an external keyboard but not when I use the actual built in keyboard on my laptop.

I have tried everything from resetting all of my settings in System Preferences to trying to blow out potential dust/debris as well as resetting my SMC and NVRAM to no avail.

If it is relevant, I did have some overheating issues for a while, but that issue never really did anything to my keyboard while it was happening.

Is anyone else having this problem? Or does anyone have any other solutions I may not have tried yet?

Thank you!

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 6:41 PM

You have performed all of the basic troubleshooting tasks. You have tested an external keyboard and it worked fine. I believe that the issue is with your internal keyboard hardware. The previous episode of overheating may have to do with it as well. When an electronic component overheats, then you may not immediately see the damage results. It can weaken the connections which may later fail. Not saying that it is the case however it is possible.

My recommendation is that you have your MacBook Air examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center for diagnosis and resolution.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 6:41 PM in response to sjamal03

You have performed all of the basic troubleshooting tasks. You have tested an external keyboard and it worked fine. I believe that the issue is with your internal keyboard hardware. The previous episode of overheating may have to do with it as well. When an electronic component overheats, then you may not immediately see the damage results. It can weaken the connections which may later fail. Not saying that it is the case however it is possible.

My recommendation is that you have your MacBook Air examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center for diagnosis and resolution.

Axel F.

Keys on Macbook Air (Early-2015) not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.