Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21.5 extremely slow

Hi everyone,

I bought this iMac two years ago but for almost three months it has started to become extremely slow. The first issues used to happen every time the computer started (for this reason, I'm now preferring to use the "stop" option), but the slowness now is about every program and app. After some researches I can assume that the problem is the RAM (I have the 8gb version) but I've also found out that unlike the 27'' models, I can't add more. So, I decided to try to find a solution here on the Community, attaching the report. Thanks in advance

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 3:05 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Notes:

However, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. It is not RAM. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 80 times faster for storage, depending on what external SSD you buy. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Jack

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2021 3:05 PM in response to mflowa

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Notes:

However, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. It is not RAM. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 80 times faster for storage, depending on what external SSD you buy. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Jack

iMac 21.5 extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.