Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos uploading to iCloud

I have tons of storage on my iPhone and on the cloud. The setting for iCloud is on in photos. However, when I’m in the gallery app it says I don’t have enough storage and won’t upload photos to the cloud. This is really upsetting because I thought paying for the monthly iCloud storage would help. This is also the newest iPhone so I feel absolutely ripped off from Apple.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 6:47 PM

10 replies

Aug 6, 2021 8:13 PM in response to Emma035

Emma035 Said:

"Photos uploading to iCloud: [...]I’m sure you can tell I’m not techy at all, but I’m desperate to fix this because I need my work uploaded to the cloud for school. I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond to my question."

--------

What Space to Clear:

Looking to free up space on your iPhone? If so, clear the following?

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also..

C. Clear "Other":

Clear the storages named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use.

Aug 6, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Emma035

Emma035 Said:

"Photos uploading to iCloud: [...]This is really upsetting because I thought paying for the monthly iCloud storage would help.[...]"

-------

Internal Storage:

Internal storage is-what-it-is. It cannot be increased. Purchasing iCloud Storage has no affect on your internal storage. So, it's a waste, it you are not making use of it.

Restart your iPhone:

Go Here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support. If it is not going through, then perhaps it got stuck in the middle somewhere.

New iCloud Session:

If it is not going through, then perform a new iCloud session by logging out, and the logging back in. Perhaps it all needs to sync.

Aug 6, 2021 8:53 PM in response to Emma035

I guess I'd do one of two things:

1. Purchase the additional storage and see what happens. You can always downgrade later ... and, it 's only one month of extra.
  2. Move the photos to the iPad (airdrop) and then delete those from the phone. (I'd probably do a handful to start, maybe 5 or so, and see what happens. I suspect they would otherwise duplicate.

Did you leave the phone plugged in and untouched? I don't know enough about what might trigger an update/refresh, but it could just magically work after a few hours or overnight.

Aug 6, 2021 8:39 PM in response to muguy

when I hit “manage” the only option it gives me is to pay more money for storage. Photos from my iPad have uploaded since I freed up storage on the cloud just not the iPhone’s, which doesn’t make sense seeing as it’s a 5th gen iPad and I’m using an iPhone 12 lol.

since it’s 1,000 things waiting to be uploaded, if I airdrop them to the iPad and if somehow a miracle happens and the phone starts uploading again, will the pictures upload to the cloud twice (once from the airdropping the iPad and the second from when the uploading works again)?

Aug 6, 2021 7:43 PM in response to TheLittles

the storage on my iCloud was full, but I removed an old device from backup earlier today, which made 14.73 GB available. However, my phone still won’t upload photos from the photos app to the cloud. I already reset my phone thinking it wouldn’t recognize or something that my iCloud storage was no longer full. After I reset the device the photos app still said there’s no storage on the cloud.

on a side note, when I delete pictures and videos from the cloud it removes them on my iPad, but not my iPhone. So I have no idea if having multiple devices would effect other devices from uploading. I’m sure you can tell I’m not techy at all, but I’m desperate to fix this because I need my work uploaded to the cloud for school. I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond to my question.

Aug 6, 2021 8:20 PM in response to Emma035

Try toggling iCloud photos on your phone. All of your devices should sync.

Before doing anything, it's a good idea to backup your device to your computer. Shouldn't be necessary but you never know.

Open photos.

Go to library

scroll down to the bottom where you see the current count of pictures and videos. Is there other information there (look for a resume link or other information)

Go to iCloud.com/photos verify that the images you're expecting to upload aren't already there.

Go to Settings > Photos and disable iCloud photos.

Restart your phone

Then enable iCloud photos.

Does that make any difference?

In a pinch. Airdrop some image to your iPad. See if that then uploads.

Photos uploading to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.