Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes Confusion

I have iTunes (via the app) on my laptop (Windows 10) and it contains about 1000 songs, the majority of which were uploaded by me from CDs over the years.

I have a new iPad and iPhone with the Apple Music app preloaded on both.

When I sign into the Apple Music app, I can only see my purchased songs.

Can I see all of my songs on my iPad and iPhone somehow?

I can no longer see the iTunes app in the App Store, so I can’t go that route.

Help!

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 5:51 AM

You're correct, syncing music is one way, from iTunes to the device. There is no native method for moving non-iTunes Store music on a device, into iTunes. But as you have read, there are solutions, that cost money (if you have more than a few songs). Check out this user tip from user tt2; Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community who has listed (in that tip) the various software solutions that you might consider.

The only other method is to use the original source. So if the music was from:

• CDs, use the CD to import the music into your iTunes Library
    • online purchases (such as Amazon, Bandcamp, etc.), go to your account with that outlet and re-download the songs again. (Not all retailers offer this option, I don't know why)

In order to avoid this situation again, may I suggest that once you have all your music in your iTunes Library, you make a backup of all your music? Be sure to include purchases from the iTunes Store as well. Once you have all your music on your computer, use Windows Explorer to copy the music (which should all end up in the Music folder) to an external drive. At the very least, use another drive inside your computer.

iPhones, iPads etc. are not backups; what is on your computer is the backup of what is on your portable devices. Those devices can get lost, stolen, broken, or in the end, simply fail. Drives in your computer can fail too. Therefore, the best practice is to back everything up to an external drive.

The reason you perform the backup in Windows Explorer is because iTunes does not have (and has never had) a facility to backup your music.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 5:51 AM in response to JT61UK

You're correct, syncing music is one way, from iTunes to the device. There is no native method for moving non-iTunes Store music on a device, into iTunes. But as you have read, there are solutions, that cost money (if you have more than a few songs). Check out this user tip from user tt2; Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community who has listed (in that tip) the various software solutions that you might consider.

The only other method is to use the original source. So if the music was from:

• CDs, use the CD to import the music into your iTunes Library
    • online purchases (such as Amazon, Bandcamp, etc.), go to your account with that outlet and re-download the songs again. (Not all retailers offer this option, I don't know why)

In order to avoid this situation again, may I suggest that once you have all your music in your iTunes Library, you make a backup of all your music? Be sure to include purchases from the iTunes Store as well. Once you have all your music on your computer, use Windows Explorer to copy the music (which should all end up in the Music folder) to an external drive. At the very least, use another drive inside your computer.

iPhones, iPads etc. are not backups; what is on your computer is the backup of what is on your portable devices. Those devices can get lost, stolen, broken, or in the end, simply fail. Drives in your computer can fail too. Therefore, the best practice is to back everything up to an external drive.

The reason you perform the backup in Windows Explorer is because iTunes does not have (and has never had) a facility to backup your music.

Aug 7, 2021 12:57 PM in response to JT61UK

It is possible to Sync via Wi-Fi, although I use a USB connection. Read this Apple article; Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod with your computer – Apple Support (UK) which should help you get the music onto the devices.

Once on there, you use the Music app on the device to play your music. There has never been an "iTunes app" for the devices.

Aug 8, 2021 3:02 AM in response to JT61UK

Thank you for that.

Another related question - is there a way of getting non purchased music that is currently sitting on my old iPhone 4, into my iTunes account (either via my laptop or iPad)?

Ive read around the subject and it seems that I need to buy some software (like Any Trans) to move the files in that direction, as syncing only moves files from iTunes to a device and not vice a versa - is that right?

ITunes Confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.