Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does genuine Apple EarPods displaying a pop up “Is this lightning adapter connecting a pair of headphones?” when plugged in?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if a genuine Apple EarPods triggers a pop up “Is this lightning adapter connecting with a pair of headphones” when plugged into iPhone?

I recently bought an Apple EarPods from a seller who promised me he only sells original Apple products. But when I connect the earphone with my iPhone, it shows the pop up makes me wonder if this is really original product.

I noticed slight difference in audio, and mic quality, and also the same volume setting does not produce the same results comparing the new EarPods to my old “real” original EarPods. Does two original headphones produce the same quality in every case?

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 7:22 AM

gregfromjb,

Yes, you are correct. Apple EarPods (with 3.5 mm Headphone Plug or Lightning Connector) would be expected to work with Headphone Accommodations. For a complete list of supported Apple and Beats headphones, take a look at Customize headphone audio levels on your iPhone or iPad.

Have a nice day!

3 replies

Aug 10, 2021 6:21 AM in response to gregfromjb

Hello gregfromjb,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that when connecting your Apple EarPods with Lightening Connector to your iPhone, you’re seeing a message asking “Is this Lightning adapter connecting a pair of headphones?” and are concerned about this message. We’d like to help.

We suggest checking out Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories. You can review the information in that resource and compare this accessory to it.

Take care.

Aug 15, 2021 1:29 AM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I have read the page, but still there's no clear confirmation to my doubts. And as far as I know, the EarPods isn't a covered category in https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ to check the serial number, right? So, can I ask another question?

I discovered that there's a feature called "Headphones Accommodations". Can I safely assume ALL original EarPods will be able to access this feature, and those EarPods can't access this feature in the phone are not original?

Does genuine Apple EarPods displaying a pop up “Is this lightning adapter connecting a pair of headphones?” when plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.