Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do with a water damaged iPhone and a terrible support from service center

I had my iPhone 11Pro and my iPhone 7(work phone) together in my pocket of a rainproof jacket and doing a short hike under the rain and my iPhone 11Pro got water damaged meanwhile iPhone 7 is working perfectly, zippers were closed, occasionally I took out both phones to check signal, direction or took few pictures and put back into pockets. Rereading the water proof or repellent specification of iPhone 11Pro which have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 4 meters up to 30 minutes) and considering the usage which damage happened and specification I am sure there is a design issue with the unit, I really don't see any other explanation. But just left the Apple store in Ginza Tokyo and service wanted to replace it with an hefty additional cost. I am very unsatisfied with the build quality of this phone and two years ago had the similar issue with my iPhone X, it feels that I am getting ripped off all the time by Apple. Even the Apple Center supervisor Ryan (forgot his surname, but he should be the supervisor of a technician named Jun) said himself he doesn't have much confidence in build quality of the iPhone. Hearing this and still Apple asking me pay money for a replacement for a phone that been bought less than 2 years ago left me speechless, considering my previous experience with iPhone X. Right now I am without my personal phone just before my flight on birthday.

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 6

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:56 PM

I certainly understand your frustration, as having experienced something similar (however, the Apple support folks were very helpful in my case), my less than a month old MacBook Pro experienced a water spill ... a very small one at that. However, it ended up that I needed to get the logic board, display, and touch pad replaced. Fortunately, I had elected to purchase an AppleCare+ plan and that repair was at a much reduced price.

... so, two things come to mind from your post based on your past water damaged phone experience:

1. Did you elect to get an AppleCare+ plan with either that phone or your newer ones?
  2. If you had such an unpleasant experience with both the Apple products and their support, why do you keep buying iPhones?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 5:56 PM in response to yilmaz65

I certainly understand your frustration, as having experienced something similar (however, the Apple support folks were very helpful in my case), my less than a month old MacBook Pro experienced a water spill ... a very small one at that. However, it ended up that I needed to get the logic board, display, and touch pad replaced. Fortunately, I had elected to purchase an AppleCare+ plan and that repair was at a much reduced price.

... so, two things come to mind from your post based on your past water damaged phone experience:

1. Did you elect to get an AppleCare+ plan with either that phone or your newer ones?
  2. If you had such an unpleasant experience with both the Apple products and their support, why do you keep buying iPhones?

Aug 9, 2021 5:15 PM in response to shoeluvr13

Thanks for the reply. What I mean is everyday use may alter the water resistance of course but we are not talking about submerging the unit into a water body, it stays next to an earlier and less water repellent unit in the pocket of a rainproof jacket, may get one or two drops of rain at most but eventually gets damaged. This is not everyday use, wear or tear.

What to do with a water damaged iPhone and a terrible support from service center

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.