You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't search Notes

The search function in Notes has stopped working on my iMac, mostly. Most of the time I type in a keyword or phrase and the list goes bland. Occasionally it works.

No problem on my iPhone 12.

Someone suggested I delete and reinstall the app, but I'm afraid I will lose everything.

Using Sierra 11.5

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 7:05 AM

11.5 is not Sierra.

11.5 is Big Sur.

Go to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Spotlight. Add and remove the hard drive from the Privacy panel.

When Spotlight menu in the upper right is done saying it is indexing, Notes should searching should work again.

if it doesn't, you should run Etrecheck to see if you installed any optimizers, and ask for our assistance in reading the results.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2021 7:05 AM in response to Florentini

11.5 is not Sierra.

11.5 is Big Sur.

Go to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Spotlight. Add and remove the hard drive from the Privacy panel.

When Spotlight menu in the upper right is done saying it is indexing, Notes should searching should work again.

if it doesn't, you should run Etrecheck to see if you installed any optimizers, and ask for our assistance in reading the results.

can't search Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.