Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the two-page view in Preview still not work?

I can't seem to find anywhere (here or online) how to view two-pages of a pdf file in Preview. I select View > Two pages and still only see one page no matter how I zoom in or out. This seems pretty basic and I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out why it doesn't work.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 7:59 AM

Hello and thanks! I just checked on my M1 iMac and MacBook Air mid-2014, still have the same issue. I select the two-page view and only see one page no matter the size of the screen. Bummer! Like this person mentions : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250195486

It apparently has to do with not showing certain pages (odd numbers?) first (to the left of) even numbered ones. I tested with different pdf's and if I have a two-page only pdf it doesn't work, but if I have one with more pages, it won"t show the first two pages side by side, but it will show the subsequent ones side-by-side, so there is a "bug" of sorts'".

Thanks! our exchange helped me look more deeply into the issue to find a "solution" of sorts.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2021 7:59 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello and thanks! I just checked on my M1 iMac and MacBook Air mid-2014, still have the same issue. I select the two-page view and only see one page no matter the size of the screen. Bummer! Like this person mentions : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250195486

It apparently has to do with not showing certain pages (odd numbers?) first (to the left of) even numbered ones. I tested with different pdf's and if I have a two-page only pdf it doesn't work, but if I have one with more pages, it won"t show the first two pages side by side, but it will show the subsequent ones side-by-side, so there is a "bug" of sorts'".

Thanks! our exchange helped me look more deeply into the issue to find a "solution" of sorts.

Sep 8, 2021 9:27 AM in response to JEL888

JEL888 wrote:

There is no '"bug" of sorts'. Preview displays the pages just as they would be with any actual book or magazine. "even" pages on the left, "odd" pages on the right.

Sep 10, 2021 6:14 AM in response to JEL888

Hi and thank you as well! Exactly what I planned to do once I figured out why dialabrain could do it, but I couldn't. End all, you can't do it with only a two-page document and when you can do it, only with even-odd pages showing. And actually yes, I do think a lot of people would want to view the two-pages from the start of the document and not just the even-odd pages since I did find discussion over the years on the issue. Whether the "a lot" is "enough" is quite another question (Ha!) . But I'll forward the suggestion just as well. ;)

Aug 12, 2021 10:19 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi and thanks, but here's what I see of what you sent and it says nothing about the Apple Preview app:

And I think now I understand that you simply showed that you were able to do it. Thanks, but what I need to know is did you do it on a Macbook Air with Big Sur 11.5 on any pdf file? I've researched the issue and I'm far from the only one that has it.

Sep 8, 2021 10:28 AM in response to JEL888

You seem to want to open a 2-page pdf with page 1 on the left and page 2 on the right.

It does not do that. Is this a bug?

Open an actual physical book. Does it work that way? No, of course not.

As dialabrain said: it is all working as designed, even pages on the left, and odd pages on the right.

You could send feedback and request a preference setting to switch even and odd pages, but I doubt Apple would implement that because, quite honestly, it does not seem like something that many people would want.

Sep 10, 2021 6:19 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi again and thanks! Understood, you're correct it isn't a bug, but perhaps how they programmed it to be; however, since the view is called "two-page" I didn't necessarily think "book" view. And I don't think people using that function assume that either for the forums where others have asked why it doesn't work similar to other document readers, pdf apps, etc. ( e.g. in Pages [Zoom > Two-pages], Word for Mac [View > Multiple Pages] or Adobe Acrobat [Page Display > Two-page View]).) In all cases, you can see two pages you chose side by side starting from the first page (and I think. you can even do so with only your selected pages, but I didn't test that for each one), thus I would think Preview would allow this as well.

But hey, the problem I had is solved and I appreciate the effort you took to help me resolve it. ;)

Does the two-page view in Preview still not work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.