Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing quit

Hey all,

I could use some expertise.

My Epson ET-4760 printer vanished from my printer dialog earlier today. Just gone.

When I tried to re-add it, I got the message "Bad file descriptor". It shows up as a discovered printer with Bonjour, but the install fails with the Bad file descriptor message.

In addition, the print queue service (CUPS) seems to be offline. If I try to connect to 127.0.0.1:631, the connection is refused. I have tried restarting it, and it appears to have been successful, but it still refuses my connection.

I have uninstalled all of the Epson software, and deleted the Epson folder in /Library.

The printer still shows up when I add a printer, and it is still recognized using Bonjour. The install still fails with the same message when I try to connect with it.

I have tried downloading the install package from Epson, and running it. It fails partway through. Looks like it's trying to install, asks me for my admin password (twice) and then fails after the second time.

I don't think this is a printer issue. Something on the Mac is preventing me, but I don't know what.

Ideas?

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 7:14 AM

Hi,

To begin with, are you using macOS Catalina 10.15 (this community), or possibly another operating system version?

Have you tried to reset the printing system and re-add the printer?

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

With a network connection, you should not need drivers from the printer manufacturer. The Epson ET-4760 is mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. If necessary, try the following procedure: Turn off (power off) the router, the printer, the computer, and all other devices (computers/iPhones/iPads). Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on all other devices.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 7:14 AM in response to was_canada

Hi,

To begin with, are you using macOS Catalina 10.15 (this community), or possibly another operating system version?

Have you tried to reset the printing system and re-add the printer?

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

With a network connection, you should not need drivers from the printer manufacturer. The Epson ET-4760 is mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. If necessary, try the following procedure: Turn off (power off) the router, the printer, the computer, and all other devices (computers/iPhones/iPads). Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on all other devices.

Aug 13, 2021 5:57 AM in response to was_canada

What happens if you try to print from an iPhone or iPad using "normal" AirPrint (not via a separate app from the printer manufacturer)?

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If this works, AirPrint should be OK for a Mac (the Wi-Fi router is capable of handling Bonjour).

Any change if you connect the printer by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router, instead of using a wireless connection, or vice versa?

What happens if you connect the printer to the Mac via USB?

Drivers are needed for USB. Have you tested Printer Driver v10.93 (04/14/21) through a direct download (the Drivers link)?

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/ET-Series/Epson-ET-4760/s/SPT_C11CG19203?review-filter=macOS+10.15.x

If necessary, any change after having tried safe mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support)?

Aug 13, 2021 5:52 PM in response to was_canada

Hello again,

Thank you for the information. You mentioned permissions and a conflict with another app. There have been a number of reported (Big Sur) scanner problems recently (see, for example, https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART180175). Could all this, somehow, be related to some kind of general operating system security?

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm on Catalina (10.15.7). I have reset the printing system several times, and re-added the printer. And yes, I thought I didn't need the manufacturers driver, and tried uninstalling all the manufacturers software, rebooting printer and Mac, and still had the same problem.

I can try the above and power down the network. Willing to try anything right now.

I think it's a Mac specific thing though, because I have no trouble printing from the Windows PC next to the Mac.

Aug 13, 2021 5:02 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

First, thank you for spending the time with me on this.

I can print from my iPhone with no problem using "normal" AirPrint.

I have not been able to make an ethernet connection to the router (it's on the other side of my home from the iMac). AND, I haven't got a long enough USB cable to connect the Mac to the printer. However, I've ordered one, and Amazon promises it will be here this evening.

I can add the printer when running in Safe Mode using either Bonjour or the Epson IP driver (both show up when I press the + sign to add a printer, although only Bonjour shows up when I am not running in Safe Mode). However, when I restart the computer, the printer doesn't show up any more, and when I try to add it, the same problem occurs again.

It makes me think that the "bad file descriptor" error is related to permissions some how, or to a conflict with another app that is loaded at boot time, but I have no idea what that app would be.

A

Aug 14, 2021 9:50 AM in response to was_canada

was_canada wrote:

I can add the printer when running in Safe Mode using either Bonjour or the Epson IP driver (both show up when I press the + sign to add a printer, although only Bonjour shows up when I am not running in Safe Mode). However, when I restart the computer, the printer doesn't show up any more, and when I try to add it, the same problem occurs again.
... conflict with another app that is loaded at boot time, but I have no idea what that app would be.

The fact that those things seem to work in Safe Mode implies that something third party that is installed may be conflicting with what you are trying to do.

Have you installed anything recently, before the problem surfaced?

Have you tried creating another user and logged out of your current user and logged in to the new user to see if the issue persists? Best to make the new user one with administrative rights.

If the problem persists with the new user, you could run Etrecheck (created by a trusted contributor to Apple Discussions) and paste the output here using the Additional Text button. Someone may spot an extension or third party software that could create such a conflict. Are you using any anti-virus, security, app cleaners or software like that?

Aug 15, 2021 5:52 PM in response to steve626

I want to thank you both for your help. I truly appreciated it.

I am now the proud owner of a 15' USB printer cable. I'm not sure I'll use it ever again, but I suppose it's the sort of thing I should have around in any case. Kind of like having a wrench on the off-chance you will need to do some plumbing.

I wasn't able to recognize the printer, except in safe mode, using the USB cable. In addition, each time I tried to install the drivers you kindly linked Jan Hedlund, the driver install software would crash right at the end.

Steve626, I DID create another user account, and was able to see the printer! I gave the account admin permissions as you suggested and was also able to install the Epson driver kit that crashed the computer using this new account. And lo and behold, it all worked. When I logged out and logged in again as myself, the drivers were all working and I was able to print again.

I still don't know what the problem was, but I'm happy that I can use the printer again. I've removed the new user account, coiled up my new printer cable and put it away, and am happily productive once more. Bugs me that I haven't figured out the issue... but I have a fix.

Thank you BOTH for your time in responding to my questions. That's what makes this community great!

A

Printing quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.