Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard with iPad Pro backlit keys not working

I got the white magic keyboard/cover for the latest iPad Pro (M1/5th gen, 12.9”) running 14.7. I am using the keyboard now and of course the caps lock key will show the green light when pressed. The backlight, however, won’t come on for the keys,. I tested this by going into a dark room with no lights on; but more worrisome is that in the Keyboard/Hardware Keyboard section the ability to manually adjust the brightness is grayed out like it’s not supported.

I have hard restarted and gentle restarted the iPad with the keyboard disconnected twice with no resolution.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 1:08 PM

It appears that you have tried the basic troubleshooting steps for this issue. As you know, the keyboard is powered and controlled by the iPad when it is connected properly to the three connection points on the back of the iPad. If you have not, then check those connection points and ensure that there is no dirt trapped preventing a clean connection between the iPad and the Magic Keyboard.

If the backlight still does not work on the keyboard then I believe that it is time to get your iPad AND your Magic Keyboard examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnoses and resolution. Apple’s 1YR Limited Warranty is still active on the Keyboard and the iPad. Take advantage of it.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 1:08 PM in response to John Hendron

It appears that you have tried the basic troubleshooting steps for this issue. As you know, the keyboard is powered and controlled by the iPad when it is connected properly to the three connection points on the back of the iPad. If you have not, then check those connection points and ensure that there is no dirt trapped preventing a clean connection between the iPad and the Magic Keyboard.

If the backlight still does not work on the keyboard then I believe that it is time to get your iPad AND your Magic Keyboard examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnoses and resolution. Apple’s 1YR Limited Warranty is still active on the Keyboard and the iPad. Take advantage of it.

Axel F.

Magic Keyboard with iPad Pro backlit keys not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.