Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to understand iPhone backups – why only one in iTunes prefs?

My iPhone X has been plagued by terrible battery life since I installed 14.6.

Since there was no improvement with 14.7 I decided to restore it to factory settings and then install apps one by one.

Before wiping it I made backups both to iCloud and to iTunes locally on my computer. I then began the restore process. When iTunes asked me if I wanted to back up the phone I ticked yes.

After the restore had completed I noticed in iTunes Preferences – Devices that only the backup made during the restore is listed. I checked in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ and there is only one folder there.

The backup folder is around 56 GB, and I am now wondering if that backup "caught" all my photos (which I don't have in iCloud).

Is there any way of checking that, apart from restoring the backup to the phone (which probably would just copy over the app(s) that cause(s) the bad battery performance?

I am also wondering why iTunes doesn't show the backup that I made before the restore.

Thank you kindly in advance

Philip

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 8:52 AM

Thanks TT2. I seem to remember that iTunes at some point in the past showed more than one backup for my phone, but I guess I'm mistaken.

In the end I bit the bullet and restored the backup which did show the photos so I'm very happy about that. I'll now make sure to back them up to the computer before wiping the phone and starting over again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 8:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks TT2. I seem to remember that iTunes at some point in the past showed more than one backup for my phone, but I guess I'm mistaken.

In the end I bit the bullet and restored the backup which did show the photos so I'm very happy about that. I'll now make sure to back them up to the computer before wiping the phone and starting over again.

Aug 17, 2021 8:07 AM in response to pullman

Why? Because that is the way Apple have designed it. One rolling backup per device, which is archived when you restore it. On a Mac you can also right-click on a device backup set and manually archive it. If you have Time Machine set up then it is potentially capturing snapshots of the device backup folder which might allow you some finesse when picking a restore point. Restore is an all or nothing affair. You should get back the device camera roll and private data belonging to each installed app.

tt2

Trying to understand iPhone backups – why only one in iTunes prefs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.