You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get exact search results from the Notes search bar?

The following is a quote from an earlier post. The response was unhelpful.

I was trying to search for "aad" It buries most of the notes with "aad" and gives me notes with "and" "ladies" "island" etc. As you can imagine, that a LOT of notes. I've tried quotes, I've tried + I've looked through settings and preferences and I'm not seeing it.

OK to offer this wild searching as an option, but not without being able to change.

I just switched from EverNote (which was getting bloated) and otherwise find Notes to be good enough, but I know how to spell and if search doesn't turn something I can figure out maybe my spelling is wrong.

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 10:13 AM

4 replies

Aug 18, 2021 8:21 PM in response to SoCalMtnBiker

Does "aad" exist in a note?

Without a not with that sequence, it finds the closest things (like and).

With "aad" in a not, it lists that one first, then other close matches.

If that sequence is inside a word, it doesn't find it, though it can find words with other sequences.

It seems to primarily match words that start with your search term.

I don't think there is a way to modify the search.

Aug 18, 2021 9:16 PM in response to muguy

Unfortunately not. I don't know what the word was that prompted me to write this (I forgot to credit the original poster)

But just now I tried ujs and it finds 'ujs', "UJS" 'Justice', 'just' and 'ups'; and something in an attachment. A couple of the found items.

When I tired "ujs" (with quotes), the correct Notes are found but no highlighting which happens with no quotes. Maybe because the highlighting of the words is missing I assumed nothing was found.

So you have to search again on the individual note.

Thank you. I wasn't paying quite good enough attention because of the inconsistency.

PS Both quotes aren't needed, only the first.

Aug 19, 2021 12:03 PM in response to SoCalMtnBiker

Replying to self. I just did another search for 'gem'. I think if the word is in a "dictionary" then it just searches for the word, but if the word is not in the dictionary, then it looks for any combination of those letters. So if the search word is not in the dictionary use a " before the search word. I use dictionary loosely because I don't know what Apple is using. PS. The behavior is the same in iOS.

Apple assumes no developers or people using odd acronyms, etc would bother with a mundane app like Notes. sarcasm.

How do I get exact search results from the Notes search bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.