Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 2020 - connecting two external monitors

I have a M1 2020 13.3 macbookair and I need to connect 2 external monitors. when will apple update MacOS to allow it? Thank you

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 2:14 AM

For the attention of any Apple developer reviewing these forums.

The main USP of the Apple computers has always been their capability for photo and video editing. Unsurprisingly, many users such as myself have a set up with a powerful eGPU and two 5k monitors. I understand the need for eGPU may disappear as Apple improves its silicon beyond the initial M1 processor. However, the M1 in the current MacBook Pro offers neither support for eGPU nor the capability to run two decent resolution monitors.

The Apple silicon CPU offers a technology leap over sleepy Intel and I'd love to continue with Apple.

What do you expect me to do? Shift to a PC? Is this really what you expect for all the media use cases? Sort it out as a matter of urgency.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 2:14 AM in response to PRP_53

For the attention of any Apple developer reviewing these forums.

The main USP of the Apple computers has always been their capability for photo and video editing. Unsurprisingly, many users such as myself have a set up with a powerful eGPU and two 5k monitors. I understand the need for eGPU may disappear as Apple improves its silicon beyond the initial M1 processor. However, the M1 in the current MacBook Pro offers neither support for eGPU nor the capability to run two decent resolution monitors.

The Apple silicon CPU offers a technology leap over sleepy Intel and I'd love to continue with Apple.

What do you expect me to do? Shift to a PC? Is this really what you expect for all the media use cases? Sort it out as a matter of urgency.

Sep 3, 2021 10:40 AM in response to bgomesdebott

There are definitely workarounds to the 1 native external display limitation.

There are some commenters stating that there are no workarounds. This is not true. By using DisplayPort adapters you can display on 2 or more external displays from the M1 MacBook Air and Pro. I have a Plugable 2x DisplaPort adapter and am currently running 2x 4K LG displays in addition to the M1 MacBook Air display. This is a workaround so it's not perfect - can't play any protected video (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, etc), video on Zoom calls is choppy, and resolution is not as sharp as native (since video is being sent via USB and has bandwidth limitations) - but for my use case of office work - email, zoom calls, web, office docs, etc it's far better than being limited to 1 monitor.

The limitation of 1 native display is restrictive because on zoom calls, I typically share 1 screen and then take notes on the other screen (that isn't shared) with an external keyboard, trackpad. Using the small MBAir display doesn't work for me as I am accustomed to using 2 equal sized large displays side by side. The Pluggable DisplaPort adapter allows me to keep working the same way I have been working for over 20 years without having to compromise my workflow with the limitations mentioned.

Pluggable:

https://plugable.com/blogs/news/how-to-connect-more-external-displays-to-apple-silicon-m1-macs

Cult of Mac:

https://www.cultofmac.com/745403/m1-macbook-air-handles-dual-external-monitors-setups/

I hope that helps others looking for a workaround (not a native solution).

Aug 18, 2021 4:45 AM in response to bgomesdebott

Source of below and the MBA M1 is not designed to run two External Displays

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colours and:

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

• Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

Sep 2, 2021 11:07 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

The way I see this situation is as follows:

Newer versions of hardware are supposed to build on top of previous ones, improving their capabilities and the complexity of work the computer can handle, along with better user experience - kind of a tradition for apple and other computers.

The M1 Mac, in my view, lost the opportunity to do just that, what to me is counterintuitive.

I guess I just wanted to upgrade my current Intel Macbookair, that I can use with 2 external monitors, with a better, faster and improved machine, but I failed to check before my purchase if the new Macbook would improve all technical specs.

In many ways the M1 is much better, but this user experience backtrack (using just 1 external monitor rather than 2) is not a good policy, especially for such a premium and expensive machine such as apple.

I really hope this constructive feedback reaches apple developers.

Regards

Aug 17, 2021 11:05 PM in response to bgomesdebott

I understand there are videos on YouTube for workarounds with external monitors, using drivers and  / or docking stations. 

Having zero experience with the M1 chip myself, I do not know how useful / reliable the advice presented may be.

It is early days for Apple's new chip. Seems that a lot may be possible right now, if one is willing to go the distance.

YouTube: MacOS Big Sur External Monitor Workaround/ Fix With Pro Presenter - YouTube

YouTube: Connecting 2021 MacBook pro M1 chip to multiple monitors | Plugable Triple Display Docking Station - YouTube

YouTube: MacBook Air M1 dual monitor setup with DisplayLink | Dixon talks tech - YouTube

Cheers :)

Cheers :)

Aug 29, 2021 8:00 AM in response to CathyMcQ

Hi Cathy,

I tried external cables and devices but it works partially, it is not a good solution. The screen connected with the external device has a slower performance and slows the computer significantly. Moreover, macOS system updates disconnects the second external monitor, and the external device needs to be reinstalled when it’s newer driver version becomes available. This is very unfortunate.

I am hoping that with the MacOS update this fall will fix this unpleasant situation. If it doesn’t I will replace my Mac with a newer version, but this time making sure this problem is fixed.

cheers

Sep 2, 2021 7:52 AM in response to BLewis5000

BLewis5000 wrote:

A confusing statement "The Apple silicon CPU offers a technology leap over sleepy Intel" then saying you need an Intel based computer to do your job.

Regardless, the M1 specs are very clear. The M1 MacBook (Pro/Air) supports 1 external display.

If you need/want to shift to a PC I guess that is your call. There are some very good PCs available that support multiple external displays. I have several PCs and Macs that I use interchangeably.

Macbook Air M1 2020 - connecting two external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.