Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I continue a bezier line?

I'm trying to mask off a building in an image. I masked off half the building, switched tools, and now I do not know how to continue the bezier line to complete the mask. If i click on the last control point a new control point is placed on top of the last control point, creating a second mask. How do I continue from the last control point so I can complete the mask?

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 12:01 AM

That's the way it works, sure. If you are new to motion, might just take some getting used to. If you leave the layer, you have to go into 'edit points' mode to continue with it, and edit points mode requires that you use the option+click.

14 replies

Aug 19, 2021 1:03 AM in response to rowie302

I figured it out. Actually, we figured it out. I should have taken a wider angle screen shot the first time so that my layers were showing. For anyone who is having this problem in the future, here's where I went wrong:

When I first had trouble figuring out how to continue a bezier line I started to randomly create masks to troubleshoot the issue. At some point I accidently moved my main mask (Empire State building) below my image of New York. When a mask is 'closed' the lines are highlighted in thick red, BUT if the mask layer is below the main image then the lines appear very thin. This is how Motion indicates to you that you have control over a mask layer that is under the main image.

Important takeaways:

• Take whole-screen screenshots so people helping can see your mistakes
  • To continue an uncompleted bezier mask, toggle on 'edit points' in the menu bar below the viewer (shortcut: Tab), Option + Click the last control point and continue the mask until reaching the original control point to close the mask (holding down Option the whole time). Using this continuation method will make the cursor an 'arrow' and not the bezier 'pen,' but still works the same
  • A mask layer that is placed under the main image will show thin red lines instead of thick red lines so that you can identify which mask layers are above the image and which are below (to help you!)

Thank you rowie302 for constantly checking back to this thread! I totally gave up and then you replied again and I stopped Netflix and kept trying. I have masked many things before which is why I got so frustrated with this. It seems that a misplaced layer or a one degree discrepency in Z-space is always where I go wrong in Motion.

Aug 19, 2021 1:14 AM in response to Marmeeer128

The thickening of the line is due 100% to a finished line that is "stroked" with an Outline. If you have shape lines with different widths, then that can be adjusted with the shape's Outline width. It has nothing to do with the shape being closed or open!

You can make sure a path is closed by going into the Shape inspector > Geometry and make sure the Closed option is checked.

Aug 18, 2021 11:21 PM in response to rowie302

Okay, that worked but let to another question. Normally when I close a mask the control points disappear and the thin red line turns into a thick red line. In this case I was able to continue the bezier line but when I reached the original control point nothing changed. All control points are visible and the red line is thin, not thick. How do I close the mask?

Aug 18, 2021 11:25 PM in response to Marmeeer128

Hi,

Sorry mate, I can't understand the problem from the description. Can you screen shot to illustrate what is happening? Could be that the path is still open. If you right click you should get the option to 'close'. Or, that you have the on screen overlays turned off, so you are not able to get the visual prompts - 'cmd /' will toggle the overlays on and off.

Aug 18, 2021 11:51 PM in response to Marmeeer128

The empire state building in the center is what I am trying to mask. I realize that I could just start over but then I'll never know the answer. I started the mask at the bottom left corner of the building and my final control point was also at the bottom left corner of the building. If I grab the control point at the bottome left it moves both the X and Y axis, indicating that they are indeed connected. But if they are connected then why don't I see a smooth, thick red line like the other masks I did? The red line is still thin and all control points still visible. How do I achieve the smooth, thick red line which indicates a closded mask?

Aug 19, 2021 12:05 AM in response to rowie302

Those other red lines - those have the red outline because that is the outline width and color settings right?

No. When I 'complete' a mask the line becomes a thick red line and the control points disappear. That's why I am so confused about the Empire State Building.

Command + S opens the save menu. Also, toggling 'edit points' doesnt make a difference.

I really appreciate you answering my questions but I am going to give up now.

How do I continue a bezier line?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.