Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Macbook Pro 15 stopped charging

Hi:

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15. Bought a new battery for it and a new Apple OEM 85W MagSafe brick charger and cable for it. It stopped charging yesterday. If I place it on the table beside me, it will start charging again. Pick it up and put it on my lap, it stops charging.

Tried the Reset the SMC controller. No go. Rebooted. Same result. Cleaned the magsafe connector with rubbing alcohol.

Any good ideas??

thx.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 6:12 PM

mackendw wrote:

Hi:

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15. Bought a new battery for it and a new Apple OEM 85W MagSafe brick charger and cable for it. It stopped charging yesterday. If I place it on the table beside me, it will start charging again. Pick it up and put it on my lap, it stops charging.

Tried the Reset the SMC controller. No go. Rebooted. Same result. Cleaned the magsafe connector with rubbing alcohol.

Any good ideas??

thx.

Macs of this age can have a worn out DC-in board — you can visually look for clues.

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

The good news in is a replaceable component

Any computer repair store that works on Mac can test it, Parts & labor typically ~$115.00 USD

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 6:12 PM in response to mackendw

mackendw wrote:

Hi:

Any good ideas??

thx.

Macs of this age can have a worn out DC-in board — you can visually look for clues.

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

The good news in is a replaceable component

Any computer repair store that works on Mac can test it, Parts & labor typically ~$115.00 USD

2011 Macbook Pro 15 stopped charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.