Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touchscreen not responding intermittently: a software/firmware issue?

Hi.

I have been using this iPhone for about a year now, after it was given to me by my mom who used it before. Now, I come before this problem of me randomly losing touchscreen responds, and I immediately contacted Apple Support. Now, this is something that first happened three days ago, and I first suspected of hardware issues or a heat issue, but both were not the case. I haven’t checked it in with an Apple Authorized Service Provider (my country doesn’t have an Apple Store) (I might go within next week or so). Now, I suspect either a firmware issue, or an app issue, and it’s more likely towards the former.

Why do I suspect this? I looked at my phone (which after locking, can’t be unlocked until you force restart it a couple of times) and I saw that every time I force restart it, I cant force touch the camera in the lower right side. In fact, that button is darkened out, while the flashlight button is when I cant use the screen. Another thing is that the Face ID is unusable (I look at the camera, but it doesn’t respond to my face). One more thing to notice is the sudden “green flash” of the OLED before the Apple logo appears.

Does other Apple users experience the same issue here? Or is it just me? Please let my know here.

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 10:14 AM

Possible hardware problem.

You may have a hardware problem

The next procedure would be to backup then restore your device to factory, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. 

Then restore the backup. 

If you need to send the phone in for repair then backing up and restoring to factory would be needed anyway.

Here is a guide for those steps

Backup and restore (I recommend the computer method if you have one)

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Remove SIM PIN if you have set one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Set up as new from the Hello Screen without restoring backup. Test if the problem still exists

If the problem goes away in the newly set up phone then suspect settings or apps, and in particular VPNs and so-called security apps which should never go near an iphone.

If the problem remains then arrange a repair including details of these tests.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service

(3) When your phone comes back Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 10:14 AM in response to AZ3K-160

Possible hardware problem.

You may have a hardware problem

The next procedure would be to backup then restore your device to factory, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. 

Then restore the backup. 

If you need to send the phone in for repair then backing up and restoring to factory would be needed anyway.

Here is a guide for those steps

Backup and restore (I recommend the computer method if you have one)

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Remove SIM PIN if you have set one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Set up as new from the Hello Screen without restoring backup. Test if the problem still exists

If the problem goes away in the newly set up phone then suspect settings or apps, and in particular VPNs and so-called security apps which should never go near an iphone.

If the problem remains then arrange a repair including details of these tests.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service

(3) When your phone comes back Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Touchscreen not responding intermittently: a software/firmware issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.