Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.5.2 panic crash

Coincident with 11.5.2 update started getting system crashes with message:

panic(cpu 3 caller 0xfffffe001a3cb344): "busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleAPFSMedia'"

Reloaded Mac OS X and ran disk utility on disk (no errors found).

Anyone else seeing this?

Have an M1 13in MacBook pro

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 9:24 AM

Hello wejnyc!

Looks like you are having issues with your Mac crashing after updating. We want to help! Is the device fully restarting when the crashes occur? If so, this article has some great steps to start with: If your Mac restarts and a message appears.

Cheers!

Similar questions

13 replies

Aug 21, 2021 6:17 PM in response to wejnyc

In general, a kernel panic will not be caused by disk errors. Kernel panics are primarily caused by third-party kernel extensions and hardware faults.

Look in the panic log for the loaded kexts. If there are any not made by Apple, they could be the cause. You can post the full log in the Additional Text area (document icon in toolbar).

Aug 26, 2021 9:48 AM in response to freyes01

Strangely with no changes on my side, my system has stopped crashing. Don't know why or how. I was getting 3 to 5 crashes per day. Nothing I did (reload OS X, ran first aid on disk) worked. Booting in safe mode, it still crashed.

Maybe an auto update fixed something? I have no clue but will continue to monitor.

I know it's frustrating.

Oct 10, 2021 1:49 AM in response to wejnyc

This happens to me with Big Sur 11.6 too, on an iMac M1. All kexts are Apple, there is not a single 3rd party extension loaded.

The panic message is systematically something like

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe00191a3338): "busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleAPFSMedia'"

The crashes happen daily and this has been going on for a month.

This is becoming annoying.

Big Sur 11.5.2 panic crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.