Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't save files or documents onto a USB hard drive since Big Sur 11.5.2 - Even tried another MacBook

Hi!

Since I updated my Macbook to macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 I can't save files onto a USB hard drive. I've tried multiple hard drives, even tried another MacBook Pro 2020 (mine is a 2017-version), nothing works, it says "The document "[name of the document]" could not be saved." The weird part is that sometimes it works, depending on the filename, and sometimes it doesn't. It's specifically TextEdit-files and Pages-files.

It has nothing to do with the file extension, tried that. I've also tried to erase/format all the USB drives, nothing helps.

My observation is that I can create a TextEdit file directly onto the USB named for example "test". When I go into the saved file I can edit and save it. But if I change the name to "test.rtf" (which I could do before without any problems) the error appears. Besides this another kind of window pops up which says "The document “[name of the document]” is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage."?

If I try to open the file with another application, Sublime Text for example, it works without any problem, with or without the file extension.

And yes, I've tried all of the "basic" solutions like restarting my computer, formatting the USB, changing USB-adapter dongle and so on, nothing works. It wasn't like this before the update. Why is this happening?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 6:24 AM

Two things

1 - Does this issue present if booting in Safe Mode and Test

2 - Have you tried connecting the USB Drive Directly to the computer and Test

10 replies

Aug 22, 2021 6:32 AM in response to öljlöää

How is it formatted? The version message will appear for non-native file system formats.

Because of that, it may not allow you to change the name from the Titlebar. That titlebar name/location editor is a function of Versions.

Can you change the name in the Finder?

I haven’t ever tried to use any Versions enabled app on a non-native file system.

Sep 6, 2021 4:34 AM in response to öljlöää

> formatting the USB

Did you use plain vanilla MacOS Extended, Journaled (GUID) or APFS for the whole device?

Recent Big Sur updates have tightened the limits on non-Mac filesystems. For example, Photos.app libraries now do not open if they are on an exFAT volume (an unintended bug seems to be the 0-byte .jpg export from Photos.app to a FAT volume).

Sep 6, 2021 5:49 AM in response to oldfruit

Like the OP, tell us how the drive is formatted.

Test in Safe Mode and tell us if the same occurs.

Anyway, since in your case the problem does not occur in another account, I am thinking that your issue is different from that of the OP.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

Sep 6, 2021 6:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi!

When I first asked the question, the USB drive was formatted in exFAT, as it had been in a few years without problems occurring. I called Apple Support, they told me to format it to macOS Journaled, then it worked, but they couldn’t answer why the problem occurred in the first place.

So as it seems, I’m now only able to mount and use my USB flash drive with Mac. Previously with exFAT, I could use it with both Mac and PC, which was quite convenient.

Sep 6, 2021 6:15 AM in response to öljlöää

> Previously with exFAT, I could use it with both Mac and PC, which was quite convenient.

I use exFAT, GUID only for files I want to share with Windows.

Or FAT, Master Boot Record for files presented on a smart TV (it does not understand exFAT), or for DJI drone (it understands exFAT but has the 4 GB file size limit even then and the drone itself uses FAT -- I always let the drone format the card on while the it is looking for satellites anyway).

Sep 6, 2021 6:30 AM in response to öljlöää

Was the formatting done on Windows as exFat or performed on the Apple computer using exFat with MBR.

This is a guess but formatting I=on different platforms does seem to lay down a different Partition Map.

Related - formatting a Thumb Drive on Intel Apple Computer and formatting on Apple Silicon M1 definitely lays down different Partition Map as experienced when do this for a Bootable Installer for am M1 but done on Intel computer. It just failed time and time again. Once formatted on M1 - voila and presto - all is good.

Sep 6, 2021 9:45 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi,

Mine are formatted exFat, and they were reformatted to this litterally a couple of months ago using my new iMac (M1) so I could get them working on the new iMac. Frustrating as they were working fine untill the latest OS update.

Reformatting them again is a real pain, since it seems to be just be textedit files I might leave them as they are in case Apple fix the issue on a later update.

cheers

Can't save files or documents onto a USB hard drive since Big Sur 11.5.2 - Even tried another MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.